Extract Boddington's Recipe Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I was having a few beers with my sister-in-law's boyfriend the other day (I was drinking my homebrew hefe weizen, he was drinking Michelob Ultra). And he began asking lots of questions about homebrewing. So, I know that he is into low taste beer and I thought that a nice mild English Bitter might be the one to reel him into homebrewing. (I'll get him on good dark beer soon enough, I can tell - just a matter of conditioning).

I like Boddington's as a nice session beer and think that the light color might also be a little more appealing to him.

Anybody got a good extract Boddington's or English Bitter recipe that they'd be willing to share??

Byron Burch gives an extract Bitter as follows:

6.5 lbs amber malt extract
1 lb Crystal Malt
2 oz 100% dextrin powder
1 or 2 tsp gypsum
1/4 tsp salt
2 oz bittering hops (Northern Brewer or Perle)
or 1.5 oz Nugget or Eroica
1/2 oz aromatic hops (kent goldings)
water to 5 g

starting sc 1.050 final sg 1.012-15
suggested ibu 26-30

If you want to take that more toward boddington's, my bet would be to trade the crystal/caramel malt for pale, and possibly split the amber extract into amber and light. I wouldn't call Boddy's the most hoppy beer on the planet so a guy might watch the hops too...

What about something like Cooper's Real Ale?

Thanks guys! My buddy has a copy of "Beer Captured" so maybe I'll take a look at that. The other recipe looks good too Sasquatch, thanks.

Dude said:
Alright, alright - stay calm.
Here it is - From "Beer Captured"

Extract:
4oz British 55L Crystal Malt
1/5 oz British Black Patent
4lbs Muntons Extra Light DME
1/3lb Invert sugar
1/2oz East Kent Goldings (bittering)
1/4oz East Kent Goldings (flavor- 12min)
1/4oz Fuggles (flavor - 12min)
1tsp. Irish Moss (12min)
1/4oz Whitebread Goldings Variety (aroma- 3min)

Wyeast 1098 British Ale yeast (1st choice)
Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast (2nd choice)

All-Grain:
Mash 6.2lbs British 2-row Pale Malt with the previously mentioned specialty grains at 150 for 90min. Do not use the DME for the All-Grain.

-Ian's note- that looks a little light on the 2-row, but I'm fairly new to AG so maybe the intent is to keep it fairly light.

I'm working on a clone for the boddy's pub ale (not bitter). The recipe is simmilar, just use ligther crystal and no black malt.

Started with a couple of recipes from the net. But I am not totally happy with the outcome yet.

I have scheduled a new batch for this weekend or the next.

One comment is: either carapils or maltodextrine are necesary to increase mouthfeel without much increase in flavor.

The pub ale recipes also call for for the invert sugar, I've tried lyle's golden syrup (just divide by .8 because contains 20% water), but I am dropping it next time (the beer is too watery already and I'll replace with equivalent XLDME). Also I was told that the original yeast in boddy's beers is the whitbread (sp???) strain. I guess that safale s-04 contains this strain, I have yet to try it because I've just got that piece of info.

JP

ian said:
Alright, alright - stay calm.
Here it is - From "Beer Captured"

Extract:
4oz British 55L Crystal Malt
1/5 oz British Black Patent
4lbs Muntons Extra Light DME
1/3lb Invert sugar
1/2oz East Kent Goldings (bittering)
1/4oz East Kent Goldings (flavor- 12min)
1/4oz Fuggles (flavor - 12min)
1tsp. Irish Moss (12min)
1/4oz Whitebread Goldings Variety (aroma- 3min)

Wyeast 1098 British Ale yeast (1st choice)
Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast (2nd choice)

All-Grain:
Mash 6.2lbs British 2-row Pale Malt with the previously mentioned specialty grains at 150 for 90min. Do not use the DME for the All-Grain.

-Ian's note- that looks a little light on the 2-row, but I'm fairly new to AG so maybe the intent is to keep it fairly light.

Thanks bro!

Stupid question though...is Boddington's bitter the same brew as the pub ale in the cans we get here in the states? I'd go to the Boddington's web site but it is blocked from work.....

I'm pretty sure that this is NOT the one that comes in the cans (with the doohicky in the bottom). But from my little bit of research they're both pretty similar. . .

Back