Rubber Stopper Size...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdd120

Reaction score
What size rubber stopper would I use to fit in the small hole of the ale pail?

I think the grommet is a terrible way to seal. I am only on my second batch and I think it is ripped/leaking.

mrkristofo said:
you mean the dinky little hole in the lid? Rather than try to get an uber small stopper, why not cut the hole bigger to fit, say, a drilled #5?

Ok, I am with you....what are the measurements needed?

Ok, thinking out loud, I guess I could measure my carboy stopper...

jdd120 said:
Ok, I am with you....what are the measurements needed?

Ok, thinking out loud, I guess I could measure my carboy stopper...

yeah, that's a #7 stopper probably. You'll want to modify one so that there's a slit in the side of it so it sits nicely in the lid like the grommet would.

On this same topic I noticed my grommet in one of my pails is torn. Where do you get one to fit and does anyone know what size that is? I don't see them on Northern Brewer. Thanks!

I tore the grommet that came with my brand new setup. I hit the NAPA auto parts the next day and got an asst. set of grommets, but as soon as the carboy caps I ordered get here I'm going to be cutting that stupid grommet hole big enough for a #7 stopper.

I just got the smallest bung I could purchase for the blow off on my new 13 G brew pale.
1861111493_52e8e6aa81_m.jpg

Cheers :mug:
BeerCanuck

Back