Sterilization Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hello,

I intend to begin my first batch of mead shortly, and I am unsure of how to proceed in terms of sterilization/pasteurization.

I will be using raw, unpasteurized honey. I am under the impression that heating the must in order to pasteurize it would result in a loss of flavor/aroma, therefore I'm inclined to use campden tablets such as one would do with a wine...Is this sensible? What would you recommend for sterilization? Is sterilization even required for honey, provided it's antibacterial properties?

Boiling of your honey is a personal choice. My choice is: no boiling of honey in my mead.

Campden use with mead again is a personal choice. Many say if just honey, no campden. But if fruit introduced then dose with campden. Many feel mead can stand alone free of campden at all times. Again, varying schools of thought.

Hello,

I intend to begin my first batch of mead shortly, and I am unsure of how to proceed in terms of sterilization/pasteurization.

I will be using raw, unpasteurized honey. I am under the impression that heating the must in order to pasteurize it would result in a loss of flavor/aroma, therefore I'm inclined to use campden tablets such as one would do with a wine...Is this sensible? What would you recommend for sterilization? Is sterilization even required for honey, provided it's antibacterial properties?
No, it's not required like it might be with wine or beer. It's already natures most anti-bacterial, anti-fungal substance (honey is the only "food" that doesn't require a "use by" date - plus the anecdotal evidence of the samples found in the ancient Egyptian tombs, that was found still edible after 3 millenia - yes it would have darkened, but they, apparently, found it still edible).

The only thing I would suggest heating, would be the water, if it's from a domestic/utility source, because that helps remove any chlorine/chloramine and any naturally dissolved mineral salts (calcium, magnesium, iron, etc - routinely). They're not necessary as the yeast would normally get all it needs from the nutrients/energiser additions with a "traditional" batch.

When using raw honey, any bits of wax, dead bee's, other hive debris, etc will float (and can be skimmed off) or sink with the sediment (and get racked off, at the end of the ferment).

If you're worried about possible "wild yeast" presence, at most, mix the must to it's fermenting level and then use 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon and then leave it for 24 to 48 hours loosely covered, so the sulphites can dissipate naturally. Or just use a yeast like K1-V1116, which is a good yeast for traditional batches and also has the "killer" factor where it will become the dominant yeast very quickly - in any case, active primary fermentation usually stops any other yeasts from propagating.

Thanks for the advice,

I am using fruit, therefore I will be using sulphites...

- When I heat the water to remove chlorine/chloramine, I'm assuming you mean that I should boil it?...

-What temperature must the water then be cooled to before mixing with honey in order to prevent the loss of aroma/flavor?...I would suspect ~ room temperature, but I am curious as to what temperature volatile aromatic compounds begin to evaporate...?

- I do not understand how the heating of H2O would result in a reduction of ionic compounds such as Calcium, magnesium, iron, etc...Evaporation doesn't rid the water of these ions, so where would they go??? This just doesn't make sense to me.

Pasteurize it is a good idea. You don't loose really a lot of flavor.
When I use fruit, I make a boiled syrup out of them. Maybe not as good as ''fresh'' fruits, but it tastes really great, and i'm sure there's no bacteria nor wild yeast left in the fruit.

Thanks for the advice,

I am using fruit, therefore I will be using sulphites...

- When I heat the water to remove chlorine/chloramine, I'm assuming you mean that I should boil it?...

-What temperature must the water then be cooled to before mixing with honey in order to prevent the loss of aroma/flavor?...I would suspect ~ room temperature, but I am curious as to what temperature volatile aromatic compounds begin to evaporate...?

- I do not understand how the heating of H2O would result in a reduction of ionic compounds such as Calcium, magnesium, iron, etc...Evaporation doesn't rid the water of these ions, so where would they go??? This just doesn't make sense to me.
So with that in mind, I'd suggest that you make the batch up, fruit and all, just leave out the yeast/energiser/nutrient etc, hit it with sulphites as that will remove wild yeasts etc that may be on the fruit skins. Also, if you have some, add pectic enzyme at this stage, as it helps with colour and flavour extraction as well as sorting out any possible issue from pectin.

Where do the calcium and other salts go to ? some are light enough to be carried up with the steam - that's certainly where chlorine/chloramine go, but the heavier mineral salts attach themselves to the inside of the kettle/pan or onto the heating element if there is one inside the kettle. Or if there's nothing that they can attach to, then you sometimes see a slight film on the surface as it cools.

As for the water temperature ? I always make sure that it's no warmer than "hand hot" (and on the cooler side of that if I can). Because if the honey is all liquid, then it mixes in with no problems at all. If it's all or partly crystalised, then I just mix it with equal parts of water and blitz it in a sanitised liquidiser or food processor, just to get it more liquid. Then it can be mixed in as normal - even if it looks slightly granular, over night it will dissolve into the water, as it's hygroscopic at this level of sweetness/sugar content.

As for heating fruit, well just remember that if it's green/white type fruit (which does include strawberries), then raw is the way ahead. Any heat processing will give it a "cooked" flavour. Whereas if it's blue/black (or dark purple) type fruit, then often it benefits from some heat processing. Think of the taste of raw blueberries yes ? well they taste Ok, but once they've been cooked, the taste is a whole lot better, once the fleshy part has been mixed with the flavour and colour compounds from the skins.

Occasionally, you need to do the heating thing anyway. Elderberry is a toxic plant, for all parts of the plant except the berries, but even those contain a small amount of a natural chemical called sambunigrin. Which is fine for most of us, but some people might be sensitive to it. I use my steam extractor for elderberries, but if you had some and didn't have a steam extractor, then it's enough to just measure the volume of the fruit and use the same amount of water, too bring them to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes, then let them cool, before straining (and pressing if possible). The sambunigrin is broken down by heating, as well as the flavour and colour extraction that happens.

Back