Yeast Starter smells like olives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niloc06

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter from safale US-05 almost two weeks ago I let it go for about 24 hours before refrigerator it. I was expecting to get some fresh hops this is why I made the starter. The shipment got pushed back. I finally got the hops and am preparing to brew tomorrow I checked my yeast starter and it smells like olives. I made the starter wort with "golden light" DME and some hops cant remember now what kind. Just wondering is this still good or should I get some fresh yeast and start over? Don't want to ruin my beer! Thanks!

I made a yeast starter from safale US-05 almost two weeks ago I let it go for about 24 hours before refrigerator it. I was expecting to get some fresh hops this is why I made the starter. The shipment got pushed back. I finally got the hops and am preparing to brew tomorrow I checked my yeast starter and it smells like olives. I made the starter wort with "golden light" DME and some hops cant remember now what kind. Just wondering is this still good or should I get some fresh yeast and start over? Don't want to ruin my beer! Thanks!

I don't know, to be honest. I've never made a starter with dry yeast (it's not recommended by the manufacturer), but "olives" taste sounds bad. Very bad.

I'd probably ditch it, and pitch two packages (or three, depending on OG) packages of dry yeast.

I am not an expert, and have not smelled olives in a starter, but when I have smelled them in my fermenter, I ended up with a bad DMS result. I would start over.

Also a mod needs to move this to the beginners forum. You will not get much response here.

I made a starter for my latest IPA using washed US-05 yeast from a previous batch.

I noticed the olive smell, dumped the yeast in anyway, then realized that perhaps I had made a mistake, which lead me to this post.

After dreading some kind of infection for two weeks I'm pleased to report that fermentation finished fine and I no longer detect any olive smell. The IPA tastes just like a (still green) IPA should. So I would guess that the olive smell is normal with US-05 in a starter.

Latest posts

Back