Two starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmonty

Reaction score
1) do you account for the volume of the starter (1-2 L) in the final volume of the beer - so that you don't have too much wort?

2) if adding nutrient to the starter, is it not necessary to add more nutrient to the wort when boiling the full batch?

Thanks in advance!

1. I usually do not account for the starter volume, at least not on paper. I do a starter most of the time, so now that I think about it, I think I unconsciously account for it...

2. Yeast Nutrient? meh. I think that's one of those things that sounds good on paper, but really it's not worth it. I've got a vial of it, I bought years ago, I'm not convinced it really winds up doing anything. If there is ever a place for it, it would be in an all grain batch (but I don't even use it in my AG batches...). Any LME/DME you buy is going to be fortified and make yeast nutrient quite unnecessary. I liken it to us taking a multivitamin. All other things normal and equal, not going to make much of a difference. But, in proper amounts, it won't hurt either... but if you put it in your starter, no way do you need to add it to the 5gallon batch too.

I don't add the starter to the wort, only the yeast I grew. I don't want 2-3 liters of funky sour aerated beer in my wort. As far as yeast nutrient, you typically won't need that in beer.

Thanks for the tips! I will decant off the starter wort and not worry about the nutrient.

Back