Amount of Brett needed with Pedio to eliminate diacetyl?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstar26t

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Reaction score
I have 11 gallons of an all Brett Pale Ale I split between my own blend of Brett B, C and L and the other had ECY04. They have both fermented almost completely so I transferred to aging vessels and added a blend of Pedio and Lacto. My Brett blend is now at 3 Million cells per mL and the ECY04 is still quite hazy with 11 Million cells per mL. Is there a minimum amount of Brett needed to reduce the diacetyl that Pedio will make? Wondering if I should add more Brett to my blend. Of course I could do it by taste but that will take longer. I know some of you have microscopes, please share your data if you have any!
Thanks!
Nate

Unfortunately I don't have any lab experience to share, but conventional wisdom about Brett is that on secondary, the amount doesn't matter as much as during the primary yeast pitch. More Brett will speed things up, but with enough time a small amount will get the job done.

My response may or may not be useful, at a minimum it got you a bump :)

The half with my blend of Brett won first for Belgian Specialty in this year's War of the Worts. It also went to the mini best of show at the first round of this year's NHC but didn't place. I bottled on 12/29/12 with 1 million cells/mL of WLP644 Brett Trois. I asked Vinnie from Russian River what they do for Sanctification and he said if there's diacetyl, they just wait it out. They don't worry about cell counts at that point.

Latest posts

Back