What's your favorite yeast to use in hoppy beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SethMasterFlex

Reaction score
I've recently started trying out different strains instead of the standard 1056 styled IPA (not that there's anything wrong with that). I'm making an IPA with 1275 Thames Valley today that worked really well in my Simcoe/Amarillo wheat. I enjoyed that it's pretty attenuative without being overly fruity and am really looking forward to seeing what it does for my IPA.

What are your favorite yeasts to use for hop-oriented beers and why?

Pacman. Attenuates really well and ferments really clean so nothing gets in the way of the hop and malt flavors.

I've used so4, so5, wy1968, wy1275, and Nottingham, all with good success, so far 1275 is my favorite for my IESB...

Pluses and minuses with attenuation and different strains, although none of yeast flavor characteristics really can stand up to the hops flavors IMO. Also apparent attenuation can be changed with the addition of C&H sugar in the boil.

LOVE pacman. I'm also a fan of Wyeast 1450, Denny's Favorite 50. It's interesting, because it enhances the malt flavor while allowing the hops to shine but never underattenuates. Right now that's my "go to" strain.

For many US beers, I use S05 and S04. S04 clears the beer well, and works great if you can keep it under 65 degrees. Over 65 degrees, S04 gets very "Englishy" and estery in flavor.

I've heard real good things about Pacman and am looking to use it in a dIPA soon. I've been interested in Denny's 50 for a while too. Maybe I'll split a batch of dIPA into two different fermenters and compare in the name of education as I'm always looking for an excuse to brew more.

1272 has the perfect balance for my IPA's. I actually don't care for 1056, it's way too clean and doesn't floc real well.

Wy1028 (because that is supposedly the yeast used in Worthington White Shield back in the 1970's), and I brewed for many years using yeast cultured from WWS.
WLP023 because it tastes damned good, and I use it for many of my IPA's.

-a.

US-05/1056/Chico - very clean, well attenuating, and cheap since you can get it dry (or wash it). Floculates fairly well, especially if you cold crash it. There are better floculators though.

This is actually my favorite yeast for most beers.

Back