"square" "Conical" Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I own a steel fab. shop and was thinking about building my own stainless steel "conical" fermenter. Would a square box on top with a four sided pyramid for the cone work. It is easier for me to build something with corners that it would be to roll the upper chamber and cone piece. Any info would be appriciated.

I'm not sure but I think corners would inhibit the ability of the yeast to "move" around. This was discussed on a Brew Strong episode on The Brewing Network and I think John Palmer said the corners produces deadzones where yeast can get stuck.

You might consider emailing John Blichmann and ask what he thinks.

1. Why didn't i think of that?
2. Watching a program on anchor steam and they fermented (or did before they got bought out) in open top rectangular tubs/tanks

link

1. Why didn't i think of that?
2. Watching a program on anchor steam and they fermented (or did before they got bought out) in open top rectangular tubs/tanks

link

Interesting! I wonder if a steam table could be modified for this or a boil kettle-or both.

I wonder if a hexagon or octagon would have the same issues as a square would have. The angles wouldn't be as acute, so the yeast "deadzones" might not be as likely to occur.

I wonder if a hexagon or octagon would have the same issues as a square would have. The angles wouldn't be as acute, so the yeast "deadzones" might not be as likely to occur.

I was thinking the same thing. Was also thinking of an octagon cone with no "chamber" at the top, Just one big cone with a lid.

I don't think the deadzones are that big of an issue at our scale. In a 30 BBL tank, sure. Just make sure you clean it well in between brews! Great topic.....this is a lot cheaper/easier for your average DIY'er.....

Back