Cloudy Beer in Secondary (NOT Chill Haze)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

2 weeks ago I brewed up my first attempt at a Belgian Blond Ale. Everything went great, and after 2 weeks in the primary, primary fermentation has pretty much completed (I hit my FG on the nose), and the beer was nice and clear. I auto-siphoned to a secondary last night, and am pretty perplexed as to why the beer is now incredibly cloudy. At first, I chalked it up to suspended yeast, but more than 12 hours have elapsed since the racking, and the beer is still cloudy. I used a whirlfloc during brewing, and I used an immersion chiller to drop the wort temperature down to 65F in <20 minutes. This, and the fact that the beer was crystal-clear before racking makes me rule out chill haze.

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated!

:confused:

If you did not cold crash, consider trying it next time as it helps settle everything out before racking and keeps the trub at the bottom.

I'm not familiar with the term "cold crash". Are you referring to using an immersion/counterflow chiller? I used an immersion and chilled to pitching temperature in <20 mins, leaving the trub at the bottom of the kettle.

Back