Best Beer Bars in America

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My picks are:

Flying Saucer (Fort Worth Location Only)
Gingerman (dallas not fort worth)

I find the Dallas Gingerman a bit stuffy and cramped. The Fort Worth location is more open, maybe because it is less crowded on the weekends. I agree about the Flying Saucer for sure.

Both chains do pint night but Flying Saucer is way over priced. Gingerman gives out pint night beers at normal price and often they are full pints plus the glass for like $5-6. (At least the one in Fort Worth.)

I also like Old Monk because they bring in some interesting beers neither of the other two chains have.

My 2 Cents

Max's Taphouse - Excellent all around selection located in Fells Point, Baltimore, MD. Also host a Belgian and other great festivals throughout the year.

can't believe I had to get to page 10 before this one was listed. Great place.

Toronado is good, but Monk's is better.

And maybe the Brickskellar was good back when this thread started, but it quickly went down hill before it was sold off. As someone pointed out, you had to get to your 5 choice most times before getting something that actually had in stock.

And maybe the Brickskellar was good back when this thread started, but it quickly went down hill before it was sold off. As someone pointed out, you had to get to your 5 choice most times before getting something that actually had in stock.

I'll agree with that assessment of Brickskellar. Sadly they got to the point where the bottle list was rarely updated. And for some of the bottles listed (Thomas Hardy vintages, etc) I suspect they may have only EVER had a few bottles. It was certainly one of the grand old dames of beer bars though.

Have to throw some pub for this Omaha beer gem. Best in the country, i doubt it, but it is a great place.

www.beercornerusa.com

This place is the Crescent Moon/Max and Joe's/Uber Hause

Crescent: Great anything micro beer bar. Always rotating taps. Very knowledgable people.
Max and Joes: Belgium come to Nebraska. All Belgium beers. Very informed people.
Uber Hause: Germany come to Nebraska. German beer hall in the downstairs. Get your steins out.

All three unde one roof. Plus the beer store (Beertopia) is attached next door. Great group of people. Very informed and passionate about beer.

Visited Redlight Redlight in Orlando two weeks ago, and was pretty well impressed. Nice draft selection and great bottle selection. I wish we had a place similar here in Fort Lauderdale.

My vote is for the Latona Pub here in Seattle. I think they have 14 taps that are constantly changing. Beers come from not only the NW but the great breweries from San Diego to Colorado to NY. Great food and a nice cozy environment.

+1 on Monks Cafe in Philadelphia.
+1 on Gingerman in Houston by Rice. Gotta love my hometown for that place.

I travel frequently to Salt Lake City and would recommend The Beerhive downtown. Great selection. Food used to be outstanding, but when the Austrian restaurant closed next door their food went downhill. Now mainly crummy bar fare. Excellent beer list both on tap and bottles. Super cool bar with a refrigerated strip right on the bar to keep your brew cool. Not all brews benefit from that temperature, but I love that option.

If you ever get Kansas City:
1. Swagger. Neighborhood bar featured on Diners and Dives. Around 35 beers on tap, another 60 or so in bottles. Food is good. A step up in quality from typical bar fare. For a neighborhood bar it is outstanding! Serve in proper glassware as well.
2. Barleys Brewhaus. Suburban location. Nearly 100 on tap. They specialize in tap beers. Food is good.
3. Charley Hoopers. Another neighborhood bar with a respectable tap and bottle selection. Standard but tasty bar fare.
4. Flying Saucer. Service is typically indifferent, food mediocre, overpriced. However, the beer selection cannot be denied. We rarely go there because of the service and generally overpriced and crappy food.

I love brickstore in atlanta. You guys that have been there and like it should also check out the porter in little five points. Thirsty monk in asheville is also a lovely place to get drunk

I love brickstore in atlanta. You guys that have been there and like it should also check out the porter in little five points. Thirsty monk in asheville is also a lovely place to get drunk

The Porter! I've been trying to remember the name of this spot for awhile. Highly recommended.

Cool bar, great food, great beer list.

I liked all the old luggage they have in the back room.

I like the Porter as much as Brick store at least. Their food is fantastic and their staff is very knowledgeable. When I was there a couple weeks ago, they had a series of mikkeller single hop beers on tap. It was nice to taste some of the hops that I haven't used before. I cant remember them all but I remember drinking simcoe, citra, columbus, centennial, sorachi ace and cascade. It was awesome. Also brick store is usually standing room only on the weekend, much easier to find a place to sit at the porter

Brewtopia said:
I've been driving out to GABF each year since 1995 and have been to the Falling Rock each of the last 10 of those years. It is a great bar and serves as beer central during the week of the festival. Every brewer from every major brewery in the U.S. is at the Falling Rock beginning that Wednesday before festival opening. Chris Black, the owner is extremely knowledgable as is the rest of the staff. They also bring in some amazing beers that week. Many of them brewed specifically for the various events scheduled in conjunction with the festival.

Now a few NW bars worth mention.

The Horsebrass Pub in Portland OR. http://www.horsebrass.com/ Great selection, 5 cask engines and a specialty bottle shop right next door.

Concordia Ale House in Portland OR. No website but here's what Beer Advocate has to say. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11677/

The Beveridge Place Pub in Seattle WA. http://www.beveridgeplacepub.com/ Consistently voted best pub in Washington each year.

The Collins Pub in Seattle WA. http://www.thecollinspub.com/ This is my local. Great attention to the beers and the best food I've had in a pub.

The best thing about beveridge is the game selection. I want to build a skittles table because of it.

Who can forget brouwers in seattle though? 60 beers on tap and a bottle list that takes an hour to read. Hop fest and the barley wine fest are reasons enough for a plane ride

can't believe it took this long for Brick Store to get mentioned. Great place for serious beer drinking.

So I though I would throw this in the mix, might have been mentioned before but...

The Brick Store Pub in Decatur, GA. Probably the best beer bar in the Atlanta area. Now, there are bars that stock more beer (Taco Mac, etc.), but the Brick Store offers more than just beer variety. They cater to the beer loving crowd serving all beer in appropriate glassware, no TVs, no neon, no obnoxious music, and no major domestic beers (not even Sam Adams). They have 2 bars: the main bar (17 rotating drafts and 75 bottles) and the Belgian bar (8 rotating drafts and over 120 bottles).

Here is their current draft list:
BIRRIFICIO CASSISONA
DOGFISH HEAD 90 MINUTE
DRY BLACKTHORN Cider
FRANZISKANER Dunkel Weiss
GUINNESS
HIGHLAND OATMEAL
LAGUNITAS SIRIUS
NORTHCOAST OLD RASPUTIN
REISSDORF
ROGUE "DADDY'S LITTLE HELPER"
SCHNEIDER WEISSE
SWEETWATER IPA
SPATEN Marzen
TERRAPIN INDIA BROWN
VICTORY PRIMA PILS
WEIHENSTEPHANER
DUCHESSE DE BOURGOGNE
GULDEN DRAAK
HOUBLON CHOUFFE DOBBELEN
LA RULLES ESTIVALE
MAREDSOUS 8
SAISON DUPONT
ST.BERNARDUS ABT.12
UNIBROUE BLANCHE DE CHAMBLY

Probably heading their tomorrow night to get a Reissdorf and....who knows what else.

Back