Wyeast 3711 is a Beast! However...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakesideBrewing

Reaction score
Has anyone ever noticed a slight to moderate banana aroma coming from the airlock while fermenting?

I brewed a Saison with an OG of 1.070 5 days ago. I pitched 2 smack packs of 3711, fermentation took right off and is still going strong. But the banana aroma is a little worrisome. Definitely not the nose I'm looking for in a Saison.

Thanks!
-Mike

No banana here. That might have been an improvement. This yeast ferments too clean in my opinion. I think it would be best to come off the line with a different yeast and then when it's done, when you need a little uumph, add this, when you need that little something...

Nigel Tunfull: You see, most yeasts, you know, will be fermenting at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your beer. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBeergi: I don't know.

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBeergi: Put it up to eleven. 3711?

Nigel Tunfull: Eleven. Exactly. One better. 3711!

Marty DiBeergi: Why don't you just make ten the FG and make ten be the final gravity and make that a little better?

Nigel Tunfull: [pause] These go to eleven. 3711.

3711 does not give off bananna flavors. I usually ferment at about 68 for a week, then ramp it up to 80 for 2 weeks, then let it cool off again. It always finishes low, nice flavor.

I really like this yeast. The ten or so batches I have brewed with this yeast have all been good.

Never noticed the banana flavor on my recent saison. It is a beast, I just bottled the other day in corks and cages and some of the bottles the corks are already jammed into the cages and have tension on them from pressure.

Airlock yes, finished beer no. fermented pitching at 70 raising to 85 on my last batch.

I've used it, and ferment it at 75, raising to over 80 at the end. No banana.

The yeast does attenuate well, but I don't think it has much character compared to other Saison or Belgian yeasts.

Every time I used 3711 I got a banana nose during the first week or two but it fades out almost entirely by the time the beer is done.

Back