Question about Pils malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
My standard malt is Maris Otter. I'm going to try a few Germal Pils using Dingeman's pils malt.

Q = I use a Crankandstein 3 roller mill. I'm guessing I will have to tighten up the gap when I go to the smaller pils malt.

Currently running the second from largest gap for the Maris Otter.

Looking for advice, because I only ordered 1# of grain more than my recipe calls for, and am worried about having to use more than 1# to set gap.

Any one with any experience with this ?

Thanks

Fwiw, I have never screwed with my gap (I did one time and it screwed me up...too fine...slooow sparge). I don't change it for any of my malts and haven't noticed any change in efficiency really. My advice would be to mill some and look at the crush. If it looks good, no need to adjust. After re-reading, yeah I'd say you stand a better chance of overcompensating and getting flour. A little bit changes a lot so crush a handful and see. You'll see it right away.

Good advice - thanks for the info.

When I first got the mill, one thing I tried was double milling.

The best was with the gap wide open (I'm assuming at 65, because Fred stated this is approx max on second roller).

Grain was perfectly milled, minimal flour, but the husks were perfectly FLAT. I was afraid to try it, but it looked really nice. I've read the husks should be still in their basic shape with nothing inside.

Back