Bayou Classic: SP-10 or SQ-14?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
As one moves forward in home brewing, with plans to eventually go all grain, it's obvious that a decent burner is an important choice. While I'm nowhere near yet, I can certainly entertain the idea of going to 10 gallon batches someday as well. Actually I entertain the idea of a 15 bbl system someday, but I'm getting ahead of myself...

I've done some searches, and haven't found a good pro/con comparison between Bayou Classic's SP-10 Jet Cooker, and the SQ-14 Square Cooker (which BC calls a patio stove).

I like the look of the SQ-14; its 4-legged design seems a lot more stable. However, the SP-10 apparently has a much higher BTU output as well as what I think is an additional benefit: a wind shield.

I know the SQ-14 can be beefed up, to a certain extent, but that seems like chasing one's tail, especially when a burner can be had with the higher specs right out of the box, for less no less. (redundant?)

Other than having 4 legs, are there any other benefits to choosing the SQ-14 over the SP-10? Obviously the Jet Cooker has been around a while, and despite my concerns I have to imagine it's plenty sturdy, right?
Thanks!

Chris

I have the 255,000 BTU bayou burner, im not sure of the model number. It works great, brings 12g of wort to a boil in under 20 mins. Also since it is so powerful I turn it way down when I get my boil which uses very little propane. I did however have to weld some pieces of metal to it to make it more stable for using my keggle. Other then that, I love it

I picked up the SQ-14 the other day and am looking forward to using it this weekend. It feels very sturdy and fits a keg nicely...

We've talked about this a bit, I have been having problems with my SQ-14 (which actually contains a BG12 burner) not bringing a keggle to a boil. I am considering buying a 30psi adjustable reg to see if I can correct this problem.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=784694
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=761334

If the $$ is there, you might look at a KAB4 (containing the BG14 burner). The Kick-A-Banjo is a hellaciously powerful burner.

The SP-10 contains the BG10 burner, which is the standard 55k turkey fryer. Many people have stellar luck with theirs. My old BG10 is still kicking away too.

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/propane_cast_iron_burner.htm Here is the page distinguishing Bayou's 3 burners. Each different permutation of a "full package" contains one of these 3 actual burners.

Cheers!

If the burner surface is only 14" in diameter on the SP-10, as indicated here, then don't plan on using a keg as a kettle, as they need to be supported by the rim, which is at about 15" in diameter.

I have the SQ-14, used with a keggle, and have been very happy with it. It's easily and quickly brought 9+ gallons of wort to boil and I'm confident 10 gallon batches won't be an issue either.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the SQ-14. I'm able to boil 6.5g in about 20-30min. Super stable and I would think more gas efficient than the other more powerful models. Again, once the wort is boiling, I can almost turn it off to keep a strong boil.

From the sound of it, for the most part, people are happy with whichever one they decided to go with.
Chriso, that link to the burners is great, really puts it all in a nutshell. I think I might be leaning toward the SP-10; going to have to ponder it some.
Thanks for the input folks!

I have a sp-10 with a 60 psi regulator hooked up to it. Man this thing will cook. And I believe if I turned it on high, it would melt itself.

Nothing should prevent you from taking a SP 10 and welding on more legs for greater stability if that is to your liking. Just because that is only what's not available should not limit you to what you want or how to modify it for your needs.

Have the SP-10 and got it on Amazon for $29 and free shipping back in July. It works great! Keep an eye out on Amazon, because they lower the price once and a while($39 right now). The stand has three legs but is very stable. I am like you in that I'm trying to buy pieces here and there to get to all grain. Good luck.

I just purchased the SP-10 model and I can't wait to give it a go this weekend. I have been trying to get by with the stovetop method for awhile and I think I have finally got to move on. It takes me over 90 minutes to get a semi-decent boil on the stove and now that I have a new stainless steel brew pot with a slightly recessed bottom, our ceramic top range can't do its thing. I have heard from a few others that you should break it in for about 20 minutes because of the whole paint burning off issue. Any thoughts or experience?

I have heard from a few others that you should break it in for about 20 minutes because of the whole paint burning off issue. Any thoughts or experience?

YES! Break it in first! And preferably not in the garage, since the paint burning off smells terrible and will make you loopy:drunk:

Three legs can sometimes be a benefit over four if you are not on perfectly even ground as three legs don't wabble but four legs do. Thats why photographers use tripods..
I have had great luck with my sp 10 and it has been very stable sturdy and reliable.

I have the SP-10, which I use in conjunction with a 30 qt. SS pot. Amazon has a good price. This burner does everything I expected of it; great for brewing. I can realize 4-5 batches from a standard 20 lb. grill cylinder.

Problems in operating the SP-10 seem to stem from not following the directions in operating the valves (the one in the tank and the one on the regulator). These must be operated in the correct sequence for the burner to function properly.

Then there is the problem that some people run into in cold weather, that has nothing to do with the burner, rather the inability of the small 20 lb. cylinder to vaporize enough propane to fully power the burner. Propane boils at -55F, so if the tank gets really cold, it just wont make enough propane vapor (which is what you burn). The answer is probably to bring the tank to a warmer location the day before use.

Back