long fermentation is long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
I brewed a belgian wit on July 13th, with a white labs liquid yeast starter. The damn thing is still going, the airlock has slow activity and last time i checked the gravity a few days ago it was about 1.018 and the target FG is 1.010. The krausen hasnt fallen yet either.

what is taking it so long?

that's only 11 days. That's not exceptionally long. Some yeast will take up to 3 weeks to finish. The wit yeast and saison yeasts are known for doing this, so I would just ride it out and see how it goes.

Being in Buffalo as you are, I am going to assume that you have it fermenting at the optimum temp or higher. Also, OG? Did you make a yeast starter to check if your vial was viable? And good to see your using a hydrometer and not just going on airlock activity. I have seen that with slower fermentations the krausen wont fall as fast. If you give it a gentle rock the krausen should slowly start to fall back into solution or drop out into trub.

Back