kraeusen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mots

Reaction score
**my first batch**

primary is a 6.5 gallon, but after two days the kraeusen is getting close to the top....started to get a little concerned about filling up, which means i'll have to go to the blow off tube....when it gets this close, is it better to switch to the blow off tube in case it keeps rising or is that just for last resort?

i'm a little hesitant to mess with the lock, but might have to...in a few spots it looks like it topped out today and is down ever so slightly....hard to tell though

first photo at 25 hours, second at 50 hours
aIMG_0604-1.jpg
aIMG_0609-1.jpg

nothing to worry about. after 50 hours you'll begin to see less activity, not more, unless you do something like shake the carboy (don't do that) or raise the temp a bunch (don't do that either). pay attention to the airlock activity as opposed to the krausen height for signals about where the fermentation is at. often the krausen will rise to a point but not recede because it's firmed up and stuck to the carboy.

as for messing with the airlock it's best not to, but it's not the end of the world if you take it off to take a sample for a gravity reading, or to put on a blowoff tube. if you pull the airlock off for 30 seconds to get a sample any nasties that fall in there wont have much of a chance against the yeast. also, keep in mind that there's really no need to take samples for readings until you get to at least 5-6 days into primary.

the pics look like everything is going well.

thanks for all the info.....looking at the lock, the pace seems about the same but now each escape brings 2-3 bubbles at once where as 24 hours ago is was more of a single bubble (more slow and steady)

Yep. That level ought to be about as high as it will get. That's what is nice about the 6.5 gallon carboy. I use one as my primary, as well.

TL

just before heading to bed last, i noticed some foam making its way into the lock....sanitized the hose and set it up for some blow off into some water....quick and easy....for some reason i was very worried about removing the lock...looked good this AM w/ very slight amount making it up into the hose and my water container bubbling slowly

Back