Chunky yeast and fast fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
So the other day i made an English brown ale that came out with an odd SG of 1.070. I decided to use the WLP002 British Ale yeast. usually when i get the white labs yeast id say that when undisturbed the yeast layer takes up about 1/3 the vial and when shaken up it pours out smooth. This vial of WLP002 i used was at least 2/3 full of yeast and poured out chunky. visible fermentation started up a few hours later and a krausen had formed by the next morning. However later that night (~24 hours) the krausen had fallen and there was very little observable activity. Has anyone seen anything like this? Ill take a gravity reading later and maybe pitch some S-05 if the gravity is too high

WLP002 is chunky, almost curdled looking. I have had it act like you described and it fermented out just fine. The times I've used it recently I still just let it sit for a few weeks in primary anyways.

I checked the gravity, it almost hit the target abv with a very high fg. Maybe my refractometer needs to be calibrated. I should check with a hydrometer but all appears to be good. Chunky yeast freaked me out

Back