Turbo yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGrath Brewery

Reaction score
On an internet brew stuff i came across this stuff called turbo yeast, can anyone explain what it is? and if you can use it in beer? :confused:

From my research, most turbo yeasts are used to produce a clean fermentation with as few esters and other byproducts as possible. Most of the time I see sights recommending just mixing sugar and water and pitching the yeast. Some blends can reach 14% alcohol in 24 hours and as much as 21% in 48-72!

I ran across these yeasts when I was doing research on distilling. These yeasts leave behind very clean fermentations which lend themselves well to distillation.

They are also using in producing fuel. I'm experimenting with one. The first batch cooked itself. I'll try it again, but only mix in part of the sugar initially, then add sugar as it gets fermented. I'm mainly interested in using it to finish barley wines and other very high gravity ales.

Back