Chipotle question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidr2340

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to rack my Chipotle Blonde Ale to secondary. The only chipotles I could find where the ones in the can with Adobo sauce. Any tips on what I should do to these before adding them to secondary? I also picked up some red and green jalepenos. Any advice for those as well?

Thanks all!!!
:mug:

wow. I would not use chipotles with the adobo sauce in the beer, there's bound to be oils in there that will likely do bad things to your head retention.

Too bad you don't have time to roast/dry your own chipotles. I'd try to find an ethnic grocery store that has tried chipotles and use those.

I know central market in mill creek has em if you're willing to drive an hour or so for them.

Wikipedia said:
Chipotles in adobo sauce is a particular use of this condiment in which chipotles (smoked jalapeño peppers) are stewed in adobo sauce. Ingredients of this sauce generally include tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, salt, and spices

Rook said:
wow. I would not use chipotles with the adobo sauce in the beer, there's bound to be oils in there that will likely do bad things to your head retention.

Too bad you don't have time to roast/dry your own chipotles. I'd try to find an ethnic grocery store that has tried chipotles and use those.

I know central market in mill creek has em if you're willing to drive an hour or so for them.
Yeah... That's what I was afraid of!!!
I have a buddy that I work with lives in Mill Creek... Maybe I'll have him swing by and pick some up for me!!!
Thanks a million Rook!!!

I'll second that...definitely get the dried chipotles. I think the reddish ones have a better flavor than the tannish ones, but it probably doesn't make much difference for beer.

I did a chipotle ale a few years ago and while it was fine, I found the smokiness a bit overpowering and didn't really get any spicy peppery flavor. If I were to do it again I would put the chiles in a pot and pour some boiling water on them and let them steep for 5-10 minutes. Drain off that water, and do it one more time. That will get out some of the overt smokiness (but leave plenty) and let the chile flavor out a bit more.

Haha, nice, I live in Mill Creek as well. I am making a blonde next, and am wondering what the chipotle adds to the beer. Is there a beer on the market that uses this technique that I may be able try and see if it something I may want to add to my next batch?

cool brew said:
Haha, nice, I live in Mill Creek as well. I am making a blonde next, and am wondering what the chipotle adds to the beer. Is there a beer on the market that uses this technique that I may be able try and see if it something I may want to add to my next batch?

Rogue Chipotle Ale!

Sounds good, I'll have to give it a try. Also, can you brew blondes at 68-72 degrees F? I am trying to find a good blonde recipe that will ferment just fine in my closet @ about 70 F. Any suggestions?

4-27-07005.jpg

So, I went with 6oz. of dried Chipotles, and a few Red and Green Jalepenos!
Now my question is this... Is two weeks in the secondary going to be too long and make this over the top? If so, I suppose I could rack to a third vessel after 7-10 days or so? Any opinions?

Thanks all!!!

I transfered this off the peppers today, and had me a little sample... :drunk: It's got quite a bit of kick!!! Ok, it's pretty damn hot!!! It has a whole bunch of smokiness as well... but it tasted pretty good!
I'm going to let this mellow for another week or so then keg it up! I'll keep you guys posted!

davidr2340 said:
I transfered this off the peppers today, and had me a little sample... :drunk: It's got quite a bit of kick!!! Ok, it's pretty damn hot!!! It has a whole bunch of smokiness as well... but it tasted pretty good!
I'm going to let this mellow for another week or so then keg it up! I'll keep you guys posted!

How is that chipotle ale after it has had some time to settle. Also, what was your hop profile on that brew?

yes inquiring minds want to know:)
I've been having enough of the rogue chipotle ale I may even want to brew up a small batch like yours with a bit more thought, and a few more pints.:drunk:

Also let us know if the oils in the chili peppers had any adverse effects on head retention, etc.
I love Chipotles and would be inspired to make a small batch of firey brew! Perhaps a Hot Pepper Chocolate Stout! For those of you that haven't tried chocolate and hot peppers I suggest that you seek the combination out. Something about the two tastes together that is undescribeably good.

cool brew said:
How is that chipotle ale after it has had some time to settle. Also, what was your hop profile on that brew?
It has actually turned out nice... I think? I'm not sure if it's just me getting used to it or it mellowing out a bit!?!?
Here is the kit I started with from Homebrew Heaven...
This Kit Contains:

1 Package of Light & Wheat Dry Malt Extracts with Bittering hops (Glacier) & maltodextrine already mixed into the dry malt

1 Package containing Crystal & Vienna Malts (Specialty Grains), along with a cheesecloth grain bag

1 Package of Flavoring hops (Willamette) with Clarifier Tablet

1-2 Package(s) of Ale Yeast – 10g minimum

1 Package of Corn Sugar that is used to “prime” the beer just before bottling

Melana said:
Also let us know if the oils in the chili peppers had any adverse effects on head retention, etc.
I love Chipotles and would be inspired to make a small batch of firey brew! Perhaps a Hot Pepper Chocolate Stout! For those of you that haven't tried chocolate and hot peppers I suggest that you seek the combination out. Something about the two tastes together that is undescribeably good.
I think the oils did have some effect!!! It pours with a nice thick head, but it goes away pretty quick! Also, not much lacing either!!!
I think if I did this batch again, I'd use about half the chipotles. I used 6oz. So I think 3oz and a couple of jalepenos would be good.

Back