Aging Aroma and Flavoring Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessox80

Reaction score
I recently read that those of us who grow should age hops 2-3 months if we want to use them for anything aside from bittering hops. The rational was a bit too complex for me to boil down aside from saying that fresh hops won't add nearly as much flavor or aroma if used immediately after drying. Can anyone attest to this? I read it in one of Papazian's books.

I happen to remember seeing something about this pertaining to freshly malted barley but the only thing I can recall reading about hops was from Gerard Lemmens stating that hops that are going to be used for dry hopping should be held at room temp for a day or so prior to being used. And if I remember correctly this rest allowed the Myrcene to dissipate. That's all I got!

Thank you sir, I didn't know that and do dry hop quite a bit.
I'm a bit perplexed by the lack of replies about the initial question.Has anyone tried aging? I feel like I've read many posts about fresh hopped beer that lacked aroma and flavor and wonder if aging is the answer.

Settle your doubts by picking up one of the many fine examples of "wet-hopped" IPAs that will be hitting the market inside of a month.

So, there's a number of different topics in this short thread...and I'm the engineer for our company, not the chemist. But let me regurgitate some of what they say.

Basically, increased time and increased temperature will have the same effect on a properly picked hop. If they are dried warmer than something in the upper 80's, you will be driving off oils and aromas. If you dry it at warmer than 140F-ish, you are degrading the alpha's (bitterness). The same thing with time. One of the tests we need to do is the "Hops Freshness Index". Of course this is influenced by time but also by the temperature it is dried at. A properly dried and vacuum packed pellet will last 2 years in deep freeze. A whole cone at room temp and no packaging has weeks to a couple of months.

There are also chemical reactions/degredations that happen to hops in the bottle. I've personally experienced super hoppy beers that have mellowed over time.

Then there's the question of whether they were actually ripe when they were picked. You can not rely on sight and smell alone. We observe the cones, but also pick them and do a chemical analysis on the alphas before we decide when to pick them. They can look good but still not have all their alpha's, which explain a mild "wet hopped" beer. If done right, those should be almost spicy.

You know, I've tasted a few wet hopped ales and didn't care for any of them. I tend to think that the drying process removes some 'green' flavor compounds along with the moisture leaving the resins/oils to impart their character in a bigger way. I don't know any other way to put it - again, this is my own perception.

Yep...it sure can. Hops contain 4 primary oils: Humulene, Caryophyllene, Farnesene and Myrcene. Farnesene is responsible for the grassy aroma, along with some other flavors/aromas. Its boiling point is somewhere between 85 and 95F. So if you are drying higher than that temperature, this oil is nearly gone by the time you get done...and hence the "grassy" flavor is gone.

Likewise, if you give it some time, I believe this is one of the first oils to go away.

Like I said, I'm stepping a bit out of my comfort zone here, but if you want the full explanation, I can get it for you in a day or two.

I appreciate the info! It's a lot to digest, but I'm very intrigued and cetainly hope to hear more. Thanks again!
On the note of multiple topics in one thread, it is my understanding that wet hopped beers require a much higher hopping volume...Is this true or false?

Back