Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ I can tell that I'm actually shaving hairs by the sound - there's a distinctive shaving sound. Pretty soon, it becomes natural to automatically adjust the angle until you get the right sound.

And it takes time for your skin to adjust to a new shaving method. You should be able to feel the difference between the head, safety bar, and razor on your skin. You should feel the blade touch your skin during the stroke.

Here is that pipe holder pic, I think it works perfectly as a razor holder!

2011-12-27_21_10_47.jpg

I got an Edwin Jagger shave mug from my folks tonight. Do you leave the puck of soap in it and find something else if you want to use a cream or different shaving product?

I've been using a soap/cream mix on occasion lately. I leave the puck in its mug, load the brush with soap and then lather in a second mug on top of a bit of cream. I figure thats easiest since i use the soap everytime and only need a second mug everyonce in a while.

FastAndy said:
I've been using a soap/cream mix on occasion lately. I leave the puck in its mug, load the brush with soap and then lather in a second mug on top of a bit of cream. I figure thats easiest since i use the soap everytime and only need a second mug everyonce in a while.

When you don't mix the soap and cream, do you build your lather in the mug on top of the puck, shave, and then rinse the excess off the puck?

You know if you store your razor in alcohol it will last 4 to 5 months. That’s what I do and it will stay sharp the whole time. It will stop the micro-rusting that makes the blade dull.

Yes. But without the rinse. Why bother wasting soap by rinsing the puck?

So you leave the extra lather in the mug and let it air dry? Awesome. Just makes me wonder if you end up using more soap by building on the puck rather than getting a bit on the bristles and building the lather with it in a separate mug. I'll give it a shot, but it seems like you'd be constantly adding soap to the brush and need to re-wet all the time.

Im a no rinsing air dryer too. I'd say the extra soap used is minimal, your able to get any lather left behind from the bowl to the brush easily enough to apply for your second and third passes.

I am a new convert to wet shaving. I'm using an Edwin Jagger DE 89L razor, with Proraso green tea soap, original Tabac cream, and an Edwin Jagger best badger brush. I'm only a couple shaves in and already notice that I'm not getting the nasty razor burn on my neck that I always get with disposable multi-blade razors. So far, I've only used the Astra Platinum blades, but plan to experiment with others. Can anyone recommend some other good blades for a DE razor noob?

I am a new convert to wet shaving. I'm using an Edwin Jagger DE 89L razor, with Proraso green tea soap, original Tabac cream, and an Edwin Jagger best badger brush. I'm only a couple shaves in and already notice that I'm not getting the nasty razor burn on my neck that I always get with disposable multi-blade razors. So far, I've only used the Astra Platinum blades, but plan to experiment with others. Can anyone recommend some other good blades for a DE razor noob?

I have also liked the 7 Oclocks and the Big bens. I am currently usingAstra as well with a Parker Butterfly and think they are the best combination for me so far.

So you leave the extra lather in the mug and let it air dry? Awesome. Just makes me wonder if you end up using more soap by building on the puck rather than getting a bit on the bristles and building the lather with it in a separate mug. I'll give it a shot, but it seems like you'd be constantly adding soap to the brush and need to re-wet all the time.

Using more soap is a problem?

Trust me, a puck will last for a very long time.

There are a ton of blades out there. I just got a 105-blade sampler pack. I've tried some of the blades before, but most I haven't. PM me your address, I'll send you a pack of Derby blades to try. Some people love them and recommend them for beginners. I have found other blades I like better than the Derbys, but you're welcome to give these a shot.

Funny I found this thread, I literally asked for a nice safety razor, brush, mug, and soap bar for christmas. The only thing left that I would like is a nice stand and a good (non-alcohol) after shave moisturizer/lotion.

It really does beat using the old gilette mach 3 i had.

I would do the 105 pack. You'll get to try a ton of blades and you'll be stocked up for a year.

Depends on the blade. I'd say i avaerage 3, i've heard others say 5. My beard seems to be made of steel and wears them out pretty quickly.

Personally, when face lathering, I don't go back to the puck. Just one "dip" to last all passes. I just stand the brush bristles up while I shave.

Maybe I run a bit short of foam on the last pass, but I always end by squeezing the foam into my end and applying to my face. There's a lot there.

Personally, when face lathering, I don't go back to the puck. Just one "dip" to last all passes. I just stand the brush bristles up while I shave.

Maybe I run a bit short of foam on the last pass, but I always end by squeezing the foam into my end and applying to my face. There's a lot there.

I always do a 3 pass shave for a BBS shave. And I re-apply lather between each set of passes.

I leave it.

Done...one less thing to clean up in the morning. The lather for this afternoon's shave was definitely the thickest I've had. I had to dip the bristles in some water for the second and third latherings to moisten things up.

Before I got this mug, I would fill the old mug and sink with hot water and let the brush and mug soak in the sink while I showered to warm everything up. Do you do the same thing with the puck in the mug - fill it with hot water and soak it and the brush in the sink to soften the soap?

Done...one less thing to clean up in the morning. The lather for this afternoon's shave was definitely the thickest I've had. I had to dip the bristles in some water for the second and third latherings to moisten things up.

Before I got this mug, I would fill the old mug and sink with hot water and let the brush and mug soak in the sink while I showered to warm everything up. Do you do the same thing with the puck in the mug - fill it with hot water and soak it and the brush in the sink to soften the soap?

I shower, wrap on a towel to cover my wiggly bits, and go to fill the sink while I am still dripping wet. I place the mug in the sink and let the water fill to about 3/4" from the top and leave my brush and blade in the sink while it all fills.

Once that is done I lather up and go to work. I let the hot water bath keep the mug heated.

I do this whether I am using a puck or a cream. I have 2 mugs. One for the puck and another (cappucino mug, like from the Friends show) for cream.

I still have unopened boxes of Derbys if anyone wants to do a swap if they haven't tried them. Shoot me a pm if so

Latest posts

Back