Calling All Hop Heads!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
It's time to rattle off the hoppiest brews of them all......

Ready?

Set?

Hop to it!:ban:

I got some Hercules hops as a wedding gift from a brewer. 17.9% As sticky as any plant material you have ever seen.

I have some Surly Aggressive in my refrigerator, it's pretty hoppy, but I don't think it is the most hoppy beer.

Kicks your ass, though.

I have hopslam in my fridge. It is the hoppiest beer I have had, but I have not yet had pliny the elder or younger.

Just picked up a 4-pack of something from scotland. Its by Brewdog and called either Explicit Imperial Ale or Extreme IPA. Store sign said 150IBU, 9.4%. Tastes pretty good for sipping.

My first 5 gallons of Green Flash West Coast IPA, which I double dry hopped. Was over the top hoppy, but good. Second 5 gallons I held back on the doubling and it is still hoppy but better.

Commercially Pliny and Hop Stupid were pretty hopped out.

pliny the elder is not all THAT hoppy, it's just delicious. hmmmm...... hoppiest beer....very hard to say. i may be warped on my decision though, because my version of all amarillo ipa is more intense than anything ive ever tried

I'll put in my vote for Hopslam, too. While the IBUs aren't excessive, the hop flavor and aroma is off the charts. I've had a good number of hoppy beers, but this is the only one that I have trouble drinking with a straight face. It hurts so good, though!:drunk:

I had a pint of Ithaca Cascazilla the other day. I'm not sure if chewing on a Cascade hop bud or drinking this would give you more Cascade taste.

For me that is allot of IBU's

pliny the elder is not all THAT hoppy, it's just delicious. hmmmm...... hoppiest beer....very hard to say. i may be warped on my decision though, because my version of all amarillo ipa is more intense than anything ive ever tried

I agree, Pliny is not all that hoppy. Overall, my opinion of it is, it is okay. I figure that anyone into home brewing should be able to beat it. It doesn't tickle my taste buds as much as other hoppy beers. I do have a clone recipe of it that beats it hands down!

My vote is Hopslam

I just had Hopslam on tap for the first time last night. I was surprised at how different it tasted on tap that it does out of the bottle.

I like the bottled version but the bitterness was VERY harsh. The on tap version was still very bitter obviously but seemed much smoother!

What about Weyerbachers (sp?) Double Simicoe. I also like Avery Maharaja a lot.

Shouldn't this be under General Beer Discussion?

Yes it should &

I agree, Pliny is not all that hoppy. Overall, my opinion of it is, it is okay. I figure that anyone into home brewing should be able to beat it. It doesn't tickle my taste buds as much as other hoppy beers. I do have a clone recipe of it that beats it hands down!

do share please :tank:

Green Flash West Coast IPA definitely seems delicious and always very hoppy. Just sticks out in my mind as 100% hops first, everything else in the background.

I may have had hoppier, but it sticks out in my head, maybe because I just brewed a Simcoe-Columbus-Cascade batch a couple days ago.

I actually poured UnEARTHLY out. Way too sweet for my taste. Best big hop and balance would be HopHead IPA from Bend Brewing Co. Over the top hops would be Hop Czar from Bridgeport brewing. Just kills the taste buds.

One of my commercial favorites is Moylan's Hopsickle IIPA....9.2 ABV
they come in 22 oz.bombers and are pricey....but they make the hop gods smile.

Any hop lover will appreciate the Cascade, Simcoe, Columbus, Ahtanum, and Chinook Hops. You can smell the aroma from about 18 inches away from the glass.

The label says triple hopped....check it out...I wouldn't steer you wrong...

google it

Just tried HopCzar tonight for the first time...super hoppy, well balanced (if you're a hophead), prob not the HOPPIEST, but a damn fine brew!!!

Latest posts

Back