Soapy Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Why does my latest beer (only 3 days in the keg) smell so soapy? I dryhopped with 1.5 oz of Saaz. Thie beer has a horrible flavor that I've yet to find in anything else I've made.

I don't know what to think about it.

Dude said:
You seem to be having a lot of off-flavors lately? Is it sanitation issues? Do you need to replace some tubing?

Same issue. I don't know what to think. It should smell like hops, right? Not flowery like soap?

Too long in the primary? The break down of fatty acids in the trub can cause soapy off flavors.

I found the following in Palmer's How to Brew. It might be a possible cause.

http://howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

Soapy:
Soapy flavors can caused by not washing your glass very well, but they can also be produced by the fermentation conditions. If you leave the beer in the primary fermentor for a relatively long period of time after primary fermentation is over ("long" depends on the style and other fermentation factors), soapy flavors can result from the breakdown of fatty acids in the trub. Soap is, by definition, the salt of a fatty acid; so you are literally tasting soap.

Edit: I need to learn to type at a faster rate.

I found in certain pubs I have had soapy smells. In one of them I asked to smell an empty glass and got very strange looks but it was the glass. The Managment fobbed be off when I told the. Asehole, I now longer dring there

Dude said:
You seem to be having a lot of off-flavors lately? Is it sanitation issues? Do you need to replace some tubing?

:off: Dude, gotta thank you for fixing your avatar. That bespectacled weirdo was starting to anger me :p

How long did you dry-hop for and was it pellets or whole flowers? Dry-hopping for too long can prodice some off flavors and aromas, but it's usually more grassy/flowery than soapy. Give it like two weeks of conditioning on the Co2 and see if it purges itself...

It smells soapy, but how does it taste? Maybe it's just the hops you smell, or something like that. If it tastes ok, without any off flavors, then you'll be able to narrow it down.

Hard to describe the flavor. Not great so far.

I dryhopped with 1.5 oz of whole Saaz for about 2 weeks. Is that my problem?

Back