another cork size question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions. I use a double-lever corker and I plan on making a batch of wine that will age up to three years. I don't make wine frequently enough to get a floor corker.

I have used #8 x 1 3/4 corks before because I heard they were the easiest to install. I currently have #8 x 1 1/2 corks available or #9 corks of varying lengths. The guy at the lhbs said #8s were for aging less than a year, but I'm concerned that I want be able to get #9s into the bottle.

So, will the wine age well with #8 x 1 1/2? If not, is it possible to use #9s with a hand corker without having superhuman strength?

Thanks!

Edit - I can also put wax over them, if that would help in any way.

I"ve used #9s with a hand corker before, and it worked. Is there anyway you can rent, borrow or steal a floor corker? Those are slick. I paid about $60 for mine, and it was worth every penny!

I regularly use a twin lever corker with #9 corks, without a problem. Just make sure the corking stroke is a smooth, firm, single stage. Don't hesitate halfway through.

Back