New Chest Freezer hinges are locked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleepleus

Reaction score
So I removed the lid from my new Kenmore 8.8 cu ft Black Chest Freezer to build a collar. Now, the part of the hinge that connects to the lid is locked down, and I can not get it to release. Is there a trick to get it back up? It's not just the spring holding it down, I've pulled so hard it felt like I was going to rip the whole assembly off of the freezer itself.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04616949000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=G10

I'm assuming the lid open and closed fine before you started this? I used to do appliance repair. Only one or two companies make these things and everybody puts their names on them. I know of no locking mechanism other than the front latch.

Yes, it was working fine. It's brand new. I'm going to take it off the bottom part and see if I can't figure it out.

it take more force than you think to move those hinges when they are not attached, clamp a vice grips on there and try and move it

Loosen the nut on the threaded rod that goes through the spring. The nut is for adjusting the tension of the spring. Loosen or remove the nut completely and you should be able to easily open and close the hinge. IOW, release the spring tension first. This also makes re-attaching the hinge a snap. Re-tension the spring after you remount the hinges. Adjust to the desired level of tension to offset the weight of the lid so it stays open when lifted. You may need a deep socket to do this as there usually won't be much room inside the hinge leg to use any other type of wrench.

Back