Help with a Blue Moon clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalhomebrewer

Reaction score
here is the Blue Moon recipe I used:

6.6 lbs. Extra Light LME
2½ lbs. Orange Blossom Honey
1 oz. Hallertauer pellet hops (4½% - boil 45 minutes)
1 oz. Hallertauer Pellets hops (2.4% - steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Coriander Seed (½ boil 5 minutes)
1 oz. Orange Peel (dried, boil 2 minutes)
500 ml Wyeast #1214 Belgian Abbey yeast starter

First, I only used 1lb of honey as my brew master at the store I get my supplies thought it would be best (the guy used to work at stone, I take his advice when buying supplies).

Need some advice:
1. I read somewhere that honey may cause the fermentation to run longer. I need experience from the experts to let me know if this is true.

2. I did not strain out the coriander and orange peel when I transfered to the fermenter. I now have some white areas that have formed around the orange peel that is floating at the top of the fermenter. Is this anything to be concerned about?

Thank you for your help

Yes, honey takes longer to ferment.

The white stuff is probably yeast eating the orange peel. I wouldn't worry unless it looks dry and furry (like mold).

Thank you for the reply on the honey. I have one other question, Given the recipe I posted, can anyone figure out what the OG should have been. I forgot to take the OG when I transfered to the fermenter.

Hijacks happen, or so I find when looking. At least you acknowlege it. I suggest using the search function, there were a few I saw when searching for the extract recipe. I would use an all grain recipes, but I live in a condo and it is hard to do grains in limited space of a condo.

Hijacks happen, or so I find when looking. At least you acknowlege it. I suggest using the search function, there were a few I saw when searching for the extract recipe. I would use an all grain recipes, but I live in a condo and it is hard to do grains in limited space of a condo.

Use that search feature and look at a little device called a "heat stick".

J

Invest in Beersmith its only about $22, you'll be glad you did. I just did a similar recipe but all wheat and no honey, same orange peel and coriander additions but strained them out, extremly strong orange and corriander flavor, so I would expect yours to be even more.

hmmm...well this will be interesting then. I may transfer to a secondary then and get all the orange and corrander out ASAP. I hope it didnt destroy the batch by leaving it in, but nothing I was reading was sayiing to strain it out. Has anyone had a simular situation?

Had a friend that didn't strain out the orange peel or coriander and it blew his lid off because this plugged the airlock.. Just a tip. Good idea to add a blow off tube :)

Back