Sorbate and k-meta question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfkriege

Reaction score
I am going to backsweeten a cider, and wanted to stabilize it first, for obvious reasons. I was going to add 2.5 teaspoons of sorbate for 5 gallons. How much k-meta should I add? Thanks,

Joshua

It should say on the k-meta package, but I believe it's 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons.

Hopefully someone with a bag handy can confirm this (or at least give you the correct answer if this isn't the case).

I'd recommend tasting a bit of the sorbate before adding it to your cider. It has a very prominent taste. Some people are OK with it, I dont much care for it.

If you do add sorbate, add 1/4 tsp of k-meta to 5 gal first, stir it up good and give it at least 15 min to react before adding the sorbate - otherwise the sorbate will taste even worse.

I appreciate all of the comments. I have not cold crashed, because it was already crystal clear, though I will keep that in mind for the future. Thanks for the heads up on off flavors and amounts.

Joshua

Latest posts

Back