• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Anyone care to split a HopsDirect order?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandomSF

Reaction score
I'm looking for someone in the Milwaukee, WI area (Waukesha County Lake Country actually) who might like to split an order. I'd like to buy several types, but 1# of any one type is a bit much for my level of brewing.

So, if you want a 1/2# of three or four varieties at those great HD prices, send me a PM.

If I lived close to you I would do it. I tried this a few months ago with some people around my area but everyone backed out. Good luck!

I'm thinking of ordering 3 or 4 types. They have 1# minimum for ordering, so we would end up with a half pound each of those 3 or 4. We each could suggest 6 or so to each other and see if we can get enough overlap to each be satisfied with the result. Their prices are low enough that I could buy and discard what gets old, but I hate wasting like that.

Why would you have to discard? As long as you keep them vacuum sealed, they'll be good for so long. When I was at DFH this summer they were still using hops from 2005 and they weren't even frozen.

Why would you have to discard? As long as you keep them vacuum sealed, they'll be good for so long. When I was at DFH this summer they were still using hops from 2005 and they weren't even frozen.

I don't want to disrupt this thread; but just to clarify, temperature plays a much greater role in hop degradation than does an anaerobic environment.

:off: Just wanted to add to the guy above me. There are actually beers in which you used 'aged' hops for a different effect. That is pretty much the only way you would want to use unfrozen hops that are 4 years old.

I'm thinking of ordering 3 or 4 types. They have 1# minimum for ordering, so we would end up with a half pound each of those 3 or 4. We each could suggest 6 or so to each other and see if we can get enough overlap to each be satisfied with the result. Their prices are low enough that I could buy and discard what gets old, but I hate wasting like that.

I just did this with a friend. FYI shipping on 5 lbs to Ohio was a little under $11. I think they have a fairly high minimum on the first pound but it doesn't go up much as the order grows.

:off: Just wanted to add to the guy above me. There are actually beers in which you used 'aged' hops for a different effect. That is pretty much the only way you would want to use unfrozen hops that are 4 years old.

I wasn't advocating doing this, I'm just saying that hops don't go bad very quickly...

Did you work at Dogfish Head and that's the age of some of the hops? Just wondering for personal reference as I don't have enough experience with how hops age.

From some of the posts above and further checking on info on longer term storage, I've decided to just buy and use them myself.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Heck, if anything...

Buy the hops. If you find you have way too many, sell them (hops are easy to sell when you buy them for $.50/ounce) People cant find them for 3x that price anywhere else in most cases, in small qtys.

Sell any leftovers from your garage.

We put together an order this year and I fronted $1000 for the cost of the hops. If people were to have backed out, I probably would have made a 100% profit on my investment by selling them myself. Really.

Did you work at Dogfish Head and that's the age of some of the hops? Just wondering for personal reference as I don't have enough experience with how hops age.

They were like 40-50 lb boxes of Magnum and they said 2005 on them. With DFH doing the construction, you have to walk through their warehouse so you get to see all their "stuff."

Back