When to cool a lager during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyingSailor

Reaction score
Question for you lagerheads out there. Brewed my first lager today and it went well. I cultured a starter for my yeast because I had doubts about the yeast health after shipping in the heat. I pitched the yeast about 4 hours ago and I am already seeing signs of fermentation. My recipe called for cooling the yeast after signs of fermentation, ideally 12-36 hours after the yeast was pitched. I was planning on putting the fermenting lager in the fridge before I went to work tomorrow but with the fermentation going already would it be a big deal to put it in before I go to bed? It is probably only a difference of 6-7 hrs max but its my first lager and I want it to come out the best it can. Any tips? Thanks!

Ideally, you'd pitch with both the starter and the wort already at the intended fermentation temperature. If it is started warm, you just want to make sure you ramp down the temp slowly.

Back