Honey Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psyber

Reaction score
Getting ready to start my first "real" batch of mead (I have a few JAOM under my belt) and I need help deciding what type of honey to use.

I am planning on fermenting a 5-gallon batch using wyeast's dry mead and then splitting it into 5 1-gallon batches and back sweetening 4 with different fruits: black berry, raspberry apple cinnamon, and orange.

My problem is that I cant decide if I want to use wildflower, clover, or some other type of honey.

Any suggestions?

Tupelo is interesting. I had a bottle of Drake Brothers Tupelo Mead and it was..... well, interesting.

It's only the 2nd Mead I tried, so I'm not an expert or anything. We drank the whole bottle, so interesting isn't a bad word.

I think that if you were adding fruit to the batches, the specialty honey flavors might be masked by the fruit?????

Ive made quite a few Melomels and in my opinion the tupelo really adds to the scenario. I have made a few without also and they were great also but believe that the Tupelo just adds that little hint of excellence.

Back