krausen disappeared

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkdbrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys. Brewed up a belgian amber ale supplied from my local homebrew shop sunday. Fast forward to monday am and have a nice .5" to .75" thick krausen forming and active fermentation was seen. Check on it tuesday am and foam had settled to just some thin rafts. Background on brew is: 5.75 lbs of proprietary grain mix(ran thru mill twice), mash temps are not really exact since the thermometer i am using is not the best and calibration has been a pain in the @ss BUT i figure i am somewhere around 148-150*, mashed for 60 min, mashout @ 170*(maybe 160 with correction) for 10 min, chilled to 74* with immersion chiller, pitch white labs belgian 550. It was set in a cooler with some ice packs to keep the initial temps low as fermentation ramped up. Therm strip on fermenter has it at 72*. I sanitize everything with starsan and try to be as cautious as possible in that respect. Taking post boil hydro reading i was at 1.060 and the sample tasted nice and sweet. I have never had a krausen go away that fast and not too sure whats going on. Any suggestions?

It's fine dude. Doesn't mean it stopped fermenting. Take a hydro reading 5 days after you pitched your yeast. Then test it again 3 days after that. If they are the same and they are the FG you want (or close), you're good.

Back