Oaking- a mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jebu1788

Reaction score
Oh man, not knowing is going to kill me.

I just transferred a stout over to secondary onto some oak chips (the Jack Daniels smoking chips actually) that were soaked in Jameson. But after I took a sample, I'm not sure if this was the right move, it's so good as is! 8.5% and already (3.5 weeks in) and it's a damn delicious drink.

I'm going to leave it oaked, but man, have you guys ever been in a situation like this?

No, it's not too late, but I figure I can brew it up again if I think it would be better without the oak. Still, I was really torn there for a bit.

We used to take a 5-6 gallon batch and split it between 2 3 gallon carboys and oak half with many different beer styles to find out which ones "oaked" the best. You could try something like that or at least think about it for the future so you would have no regrets in a situation like this.

I had the same thought the other day with the IPA (slightly modified arrogant bastard clone).

Tasted it while bottling and it's really good, I like IPA's to be nice and fresh without too much lingering flavour, but then again, I do love beers/wines oak aged! So bottled half and chucked the other half on some oak chips, will taste in 5 days.

If a brew is good on its own, then don't gimmick it up; rack it off of the oak and enjoy it as is. If anything, it could take a hint of the oak and your recipe will call for 1-2 days on oak!

I hit a dilemma like this 2 weeks ago. I was going to rack my Imperial Stout onto oak, but tasted it before and it was amazing. I figured there was no reason to potentially destroy a great brew, so left it as is. The plan is to let it age, taste, and determine if a future batch is worth oaking. So I would say with any new recipe taste it on its own and revisit it to oak, or do a split batch if you feel the need.

We've got a breakfast stout in primary now that is shaping up so, so nice. We have a small jar of oak chips soaking in maple syrup and Maker's Mark intended for it.

Eff it, we'll try it. We could always brew it again, ya know?

Well, I take back everything I said. I bottled today, and man it just keeps getting better. I like the idea, so next time I may try a split batch keeping half regular and half oaked, maybe bump up the whiskey character a tad too. Once these get carbonated it's going to be one bad ass beer!

Latest posts

Back