First Stout, reused yeast, Interesting smell...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porcelon

Reaction score
So this is my 2nd real batch. First was a 5 gal amber extract. This is a 1 gal AG oatmeal stout.

I reused the yeast from the amber batch, but I didn't wash it. I saved it about 3 months in the fridge, then made a starter batch from that (with some mashed rye).

I didn't filter the cooled wort into the bottle, and I didn't think to shake it before pitching.
I pitched the starter batch at 73-74º
In the morning there were no bubbles
I shook it a little and it started to bubble immediately (1/10seconds)
Later that day it bubbled once/sec.
After two days in the primary I transferred to the secondary because there was 1inch of trub and no bubbles.
After 24 hours in the secondary there is another inch of trub and it smells funny, not like the coffee smell the wort gave off.

And here's the obligatory "Did I ruin my beer?":(

Help! ( and thanks )

So you took it off the little active yeast you had. Now you'll have to wait for the remaining yeast to do the work even though they aren't as attenutive as the primary yeast.
Patience. you'll make beer.

Now what you should have done was to let it ferment out in primary for at least a week before racking.

As it's only a gallon it will behave different than say a 5 gallon brew IMO.

glibbidy said:
How did you store the yeast, Did you feed it, and coddle it, or just throw a lid on it and forget about it?

Why would I coddle it? Then I'd just get pwussy yeast. j/k
I only capped it and threw it in the fridge. I learned my lesson and read up on washing.

boo boo said:
So you took it off the little active yeast you had. Now you'll have to wait for the remaining yeast to do the work even though they aren't as attenutive as the primary yeast.

I didn't read this and I racked it AGAIN last night! I think I'll stop racking.

I also had a little taste and it was ok. My impatience is my own worst enemy.

Yep....You need to be patient and quit messing with the beer!

Your yeast cake will smell different than the wort. It is the nature of the beast. It tastes different too.

You do not have to wash the yeast. That does not have to be done on the first reuse. I would do it before the second or third, but it is not necessary between 1 and 2.

You should always let the primary go a few days AFTER the foam settles on top. There will be an inch of yeast and trub on the bottom....maybe more.

The fact that you got an inch of trub in the secondary so fast is good and bad. It seems as if your fermentation happened rapidly and possibly completely, but you racked it to the secondary before the majority of your yeast could settle to the bottom of the primary. When yeast starts dropping it is a good sign that fermentation is starting to wind down.

In the future.....stick with the 1-2-3 process. 1 week in the primary....2 weeks in the secondary.....3 weeks in the bottle.

You are just a little gung-ho and are messing with things too much. Racking too fast. A little extra time in the primary or secondary is not going to hurt a thing.

You need a hydrometer to check the specific gravity to see if fermentation is really complete.

dougjones31 said:
You need a hydrometer to check the specific gravity to see if fermentation is really complete.

It's on my list to Santa this year.

Thanks!
Matt

Porcelon said:
Why would I coddle it? Then I'd just get pwussy yeast. j/k
I only capped it and threw it in the fridge. I learned my lesson and read up on washing.

alright no need to coddle the yeast but you may want to at least spoon it. Search around the internet and this site, and you will fiond some great information on yeast storage, and washing. Best of luck, and keep things sanitized!;)

Here are a few tips.

Don't be in such a hurry to get your beer off the yeast cake/trub/sediment in the fermenter. Yeah it looks nasty, and doesn't smell that great, but IMO your beer needs to sit in the primary, on top of the yeast and sediment for about a week. I've left batches in the primary for up to 2.5 weeks and didn't have any weird flavors in the finished product. After a week or so in the primary, then its fine to rack to the secondary.

Stop worrying. Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you may have never owed in the first place. At the end of the process, you will have beer, and it will likely be very good. Yeast is pretty forgiving stuff.

Brew again, as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Back