2010 Hop Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So I just picked ½lb of fresh hops off my 4yr old Cascade Plant. It's a single plant in a half-barrel planter. I'm curious how this yield compares to others out there. My Willamette plant isn't quite ready to pick yet but it's certainly much lower yield. I'm sure it's due to it's location and I'll be changing that next year. I assumed from the beginning that planter grown hops would yield less than in-ground, now I'm curious as to how much less. So, what did you get from your plants this year?

Edit: Good point, WET hops. Just picked them.

Is that wet or dry weight. It will really depend on your growing and trellis system, but most things I have read suggest a mature Cascade should produce a couple pounds of dried hops.

This is my Cascade less than 2 weeks ago and it is about 13 ft tall.

4880838084_c2f1c8195e_z.jpg

last year i got 1-3/4 pounds wet off my 1st yr cascade turned out to 7-1/4 oz dried. this year it should triple.

Is that wet or dry weight. It will really depend on your growing and trellis system, but most things I have read suggest a mature Cascade should produce a couple pounds of dried hops.

This is my Cascade less than 2 weeks ago and it is about 13 ft tall.

4880838084_c2f1c8195e_z.jpg

That is freaking gorgeous!

This year it seems some of my hops have been ready for weeks, while most are still developing. Does anyone do multiple harvests on the same plant in the same year, i.e late August and again in late September?

My cascade & chinook needed to be picked this weekend but I just didn't have time... Most of my other varieties are a couple weeks away.

I already gotten about 3/4 lb (dry weight) from my Cascades. By the way, I've found that when dried, a gallon zip lock bag is about four ounces, and I have three of these in my freezer. The worrisome thing is that I have easily that much or more left on to be harvested in the future. I don't know what I'm going to do with all of these - more than last year, and the last of my harvest from last year is mellowing in bottles now. I'll probably give away lots of them. Also, I've noticed that bringing in the big ones seems to get the little ones left behind to speed up growing.

My Mount Hood, on the other hand, I should probably just pull up - I might get an ounce of them again this year.

Cascade apparently grows like weeds around my area (Philadelphia 'burbs). I have a good spot that is on the top of a hill and gets blasted by the sun from sunrise until about 1:00 PM.

Here are a few pics of my first Cascade. Looking good and should be ready to pick soon.

0cdc88d1.jpg

882faa85.jpg

94ab1bc7.jpg

(please ignore the Japanese Beetle devastation).

Enjoy :mug:

That's nuthin re: Japanese beetles. They chewed the crap out of some of my hops and seemed to like the bines that ended up being my biggest producers! Hehe

I already gotten about 3/4 lb (dry weight) from my Cascades. By the way, I've found that when dried, a gallon zip lock bag is about four ounces, and I have three of these in my freezer. The worrisome thing is that I have easily that much or more left on to be harvested in the future. I don't know what I'm going to do with all of these - more than last year, and the last of my harvest from last year is mellowing in bottles now. I'll probably give away lots of them. Also, I've noticed that bringing in the big ones seems to get the little ones left behind to speed up growing.

My Mount Hood, on the other hand, I should probably just pull up - I might get an ounce of them again this year.

Cascade apparently grows like weeds around my area (Philadelphia 'burbs). I have a good spot that is on the top of a hill and gets blasted by the sun from sunrise until about 1:00 PM.

Good to know an early harvest seems to swpeed up the smaller cones. My plants are loaded with smaller cones. Checked today and the big ones did seem ready. I will harvest next weekend.

I concur on Cascade. It does grow like a weed in the Philadelphia area. I did get good growth on a Tettnang this year but poor hop production.

Well my 1st year Mt. Hoods didn't produce anything this year, but my 1st year Cascades produced about 25 cones, so dried I doubt it's much more then 1/4 oz, I didn't bother measuring, I'll just be throwing them in as part of a dry hop for my next brew. The hops smeleld GREAT though, never smelled anything as beautiful before

Well my 1st year Mt. Hoods didn't produce anything this year, but my 1st year Cascades produced about 25 cones, so dried I doubt it's much more then 1/4 oz, I didn't bother measuring, I'll just be throwing them in as part of a dry hop for my next brew. The hops smeleld GREAT though, never smelled anything as beautiful before

You didn't mention if it was the first year for your cascades, but that pretty much matches what I got last year (the first year the plants were in) from my Cascades. This year, though, Cascades were almost 2 lbs wet (currently drying, so we'll see what happens), and the Mt Hood was almost 1.5 lbs. Just wait 'til next year!

Latest posts

Back