Urgent Recipe Question/Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
So, I am doing a last minute brew . . . didn't have time to fully research a good recipe for a Northern English Brown Ale. I am working with Pro-Mash and the BJCP guidelines to put one together. Grains are already mashed in and I am trying to put together a hop scale.

BJCP says 20-30 IBUs. I know that this style is very lightly hopped. Dave Miller's guide says to keep it at 5 AAUs with no flavor or finishing hops.

I want to use Northern Brewers, but to stay in these guidelines would mean using only 0.5 oz, according to Pro-Mash. Is this right? Do I want to add more hops than this? I am not overly concerned with brewing to guidelines.

Recipe:

6.5 lbs. 2-Row
0.5 lbs. Crystal 120L
4 oz Chocolate Malt
2 oz. Cara-Foam
1 lb Dark Brown Sugar

If it were me, I'd go on the higher end of that 20-30 IBUs. Whatever .5 or .75 ounce to get you there for a 60 minute addition, then do a .25 or .5 ounce 5 minute addition. That way you get some aroma in it. that may only add another 2 IBUs, so no big deal.

With all of that DME and the sugar, what is your OG supposed to be? You are definitley going to need some hops to balance that--because I'd bet it is goign to be fairly high.

FWIW, Ray Daniels in Designing Great Beers suggests a .5 to .7 BU:GU ratio for brown ales. IMHO, you need to up the IBUs then.

DME? This is an all-grain brew.

According to promash, I should be up to 1.049 after the brown sugar addition.

If I put .75 oz of NB in for 60 minutes, and .25 oz. in for 5 minutes - Promash gives me 35 IBUs. This is closer (it seems) to Dave Miller's numbers but pretty high for BJCP standards.

I'd go for 0.5 at 60 and 0.25 at 5. Browns can be made with or without aroma hops, just don't use much. 0.75 oz. of NB for bittering will push it towards an ESB.

Back