Are my hops dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAS

Reaction score
I'm in Northern KY, near Cincinnati. I planted two rhizomes last year, 1 cascade and 1 saaz. I got a late start and those were the only two kinds I could find still available.

Neither one sprouted - at all. I was hoping maybe they were just establishing roots and would come back this year. Is there any hope that they might still be alive or should I write them off and try again with new rhizomes this year?

Now that I know a little more, I can be better prepared.

They are probably dead. If they haven't put up any leaves they haven't gotten any energy to build roots. The rhizome itself probably dried out as well. Even so, if you're planting more you might want to avoid tilling the area you planted them in. You never know, nature can sometimes surprise you.

Do both. Get some new rhizomes and keep an eye on the old ones. You should get some growth out of them come spring time. When I lived in Ohio I had hops and I couldn't have killed them if I had wanted to. According to my old neighbor the poor woman who bought my house has been fighting them for since I left in '89! Don't get too worried.

Back