Double or Single Infusion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinnn

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a Witbeir(hoeggarden style) beer. I was wondering if I should try a double infusion for this recipe or stick with a single. Im not sure it the grains I am using will require a protein rest or not. Please direct me. Thank you
(note: this is only a 2.5 gallon batch, mash tun = 5 gallon Rubbermaid).
Grain:

2.5lbs Wheat Malt
2 Pils (2-Row)
.5lbs Belgium Munich Malt
2oz. Flaked Wheat
2oz. Rice Hulls
4oz. Flaked Rice
4oz. Cara-Pils

Hops:

.5 Czech Saaz (60min)
.25 Hallertauer (30min)
.25 Hallertauer (5min)

Flavorings:

1/2 tsp Coriander seed(crushed) (1min)
1/2 tsp Fresh Orange Zest (5min)

Yeast:

Wheinstephen Wyeast #3068

-Justin

I did an American wheat using malted wheat and did a protein rest at 122f for 20 minutes than ramped it up to 152 for 60 minutes. Some people say you can skip this step but mine had 45% wheat in the grain bill so I felt better by doing a double infusion.

Strongly depends on your setup. Dave Miller recommends that if you use a cooler MLT, that you never do a double infusion...I would have to agree at least to a certain extent. If you have a big enough cooler, a big enough brewpot and a handful of hours to watch wort boil, then I guess you could. Miller suggests that if you want to do double infusions then you should be using a metal mash tun, with a separate lauter tun, so that you can add heat directly to the tun to achieve the second infusion without having to add too much water.

Honestly, if you are wanting to do multiple rests, you should do a decoction IMO.

With today's highly modified malts, you can get away with single, but I personally like step mashes. For some reason, I get higher efficiency when I rest at 133 for 30 minutes before the main sacc rest @ 152 for 45 mins. Also helps with yeast nutrients and head retention. But certainly not necessary.

I also mainly do direct-heated mashes in a kettle, so I don't have to add additional water infusions, I just turn the burner on. Makes step mashes much easier.

Evan! said:
With today's highly modified malts, you can get away with single, but I personally like step mashes. For some reason, I get higher efficiency when I rest at 133 for 30 minutes before the main sacc rest @ 152 for 45 mins. Also helps with yeast nutrients and head retention. But certainly not necessary.
:rockin: Man I thought I was by myself on here doing a step mash, I get much better efficiency numbers.

Now, If I were to do a step mash using the cooler, what water/grain ratio would be recommended for each step? I remember there being a post on here somewhere that answered this question. However, I cannot locate it.

I dont have DM book in front of me, but I believe he said that if you are going to do a step infusion in a cooler MLT, you should start very thick, maybe even as thick as less than 1qt/lb of grain.

Justinnn said:
Now, If I were to do a step mash using the cooler, what water/grain ratio would be recommended for each step? I remember there being a post on here somewhere that answered this question. However, I cannot locate it.

Yeah it has to be very thick to start, and you need a BIG cooler. I did a protein rest and then bumped to (iirc) around 148 or so in my 5 gallon, but it was to the rim.

Would it be feasible to mash in your brewkettle and then lauter in your cooler? If that is possible, I think that is going to be your best bet. You could add your water at your normal ratio, say 1.25 qt/lb of grain...then you can do your steps in the kettle with the grain using short bursts of heat. After you have finished your mash you can dump the grain into your cooler (hot side aeration is really not that big of a concern on the homebrewer level), clean your kettle, make your first runnings and sparge.

That is probably how I would go about it.

I might just have to go with single infusion due to lack of equipment and funds. The Steam infusion system would be the cheapest way around it. I will think on it, Thanks for all of your inputs.
-Justin

No problem about the input, that is what we are here for.

However, if you are really wanting to do multiple rests, it couldnt hurt to read up on decoction. I have done a few and really like it...I typically get really good efficiency too. Anyway, if you go with a single infusion you will be fine too.

I just brewed a similar beer doing a rest at 122, saccrification at 152, and mash out at 168. Using a 10 gallon cooler and starting at .9qt/gal, it worked just fine.

-D

Like Llarian said start with a lower grain to water ratio and it work fine. I have done several step mashes in a 12.5 gallon Igloo with no problems at all.

I do singles, except for wheat (which I never brew). If I am getting fancy I will do a decoction, but there again, I don't get fancy very often. I used to do steps when making lager, but the under modified grains are no longer available so forget that.

I just brewed a similar beer doing a rest at 122, saccrification at 152, and mash out at 168. Using a 10 gallon cooler and starting at .9qt/gal, it worked just fine.

That sounds like a good option for me at this time. Thanks.
-Justin

Latest posts

Back