Aquarium heater?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photogscott

Reaction score
Don't know anything about aquarium heaters. Do they have to be submerged? I use a small wine fridge for the carboy. Works great in warm seasons but looking to add a touch of heat these days. I have a temp controller.

Yes, aquarium heaters have to be submerged otherwise they can fail.

I use Flexwatt heat tape in my chamber and it works very well. I just brought a lager up from 54F to 66F for a D-rest. The chamber is in my garage which is about 45F. Here is the link to my build with details on the heat tape:

Vissani Fermentation Chamber Build

I have an aquarium heater left over from my old fish tank. I got a plastic tub from Target for $5 and filled it half full with water. Put my carboy in the water bath and my beer stays at the exact temp I want with the heater in there.

scottconnor said:
I have an aquarium heater left over from my old fish tank. I got a plastic tub from Target for $5 and filled it half full with water. Put my carboy in the water bath and my beer stays at the exact temp I want with the heater in there.

I've done this as well. Works great.

Some heaters are designed to be fully submersible, others hang on the side of the tank, with some parts that should not get wet. You could simply find a jar large enough for whatever style you have and fill it with water and place that where you want the heat. Just be sure to keep an eye on the water level. The actual heating element needs to be kept under water.

Back