stuck fermentation. more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29thfloor

Reaction score
I brewed a Trois Pistole clone back on 11/5 (OG 1.090) and just checked gravity today and it's at 1.026. According the the recipe (mini-mash from austin homebrew) it should finish out at 1.014 so it seems like it's stuck.

Austin Homebrew Supply

The weather did cool down a lot within the past few weeks so it might just be that i need to warm it up. Should I just move it around a bit and put it somewhere warmer and see what happens or just add some more yeast.

Normally I would do a starter for a beer this big but the the kit came with a single packet of dry yeast (T58) so I just rehydrated and pitched that. I could pick up another packet tomorrow or just pitch something I have here, but the closest thing I have is probably 3711 and I'm worried that might tear through what's left a little too hard.

Give it a gentle swirl, and try to bring the temp up a bit, then RDWHHB.
Your almost there anyway.

This would be the first time I've done this, so what exactly is a gentle swirl? I just slowly rocked it back and forth for like 30-45 seconds. Is that enough or should I actually get a spoon in there and stir it up a bit?

The idea is to get the yeast back up into suspension without oxygenating the beer. So yea, just gently rocked back an forth a few times should do the trick.

Warm and rouse.

If that doesn't work, take a sample and add some yeast and check the gravity of that after a few days. If it's dropped, add more yeast to the whole thing.

If that doesn't work, add some sugar and nutrient, that may dry it out a little (I'm not sure how, but apparently that works).

I roused the yeast and warmed it up and three days later its around 1.019. So I guess it's still going. I was hoping to be closer to the target FG by now but I guess I should just leave and and check again in a couple days.

Not sure what's going on now. I'm guessing not much.

Just took another reading and now I'm getting 1.022. So I guess maybe it was a little warm when I took the last one.

Debating whether I should trying adding more yeast or just bottle it as is. Smells and tastes pretty good already.

That's not a bad gravity for a 1.090 mini mash.

However, you can bottle and drink, it'll probably be ok or, you could try some ways of getting it down further, maybe making it much better or ruining it.

If it was me, I'd hit it with some sugar and nutrient. Maybe use a fairly dark candi sugar.

Not much, maybe enough for 5 gravity points? Just to get your yeast active again in the hope they'll get some of the other sugar while in suspension.

Latest posts

Back