Anything special to know when using 22oz bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle a chocolate stout, and I'm doing half with 22 oz bottles. Anything special to know about using 22 ouncers vs. 12 ounce?

If your naturally carbing in the bottles, it may take a little longer to carbonate, other than that....I love 22oz bottles. Half the work.

I'm about to bottle a chocolate stout, and I'm doing half with 22 oz bottles. Anything special to know about using 22 ouncers vs. 12 ounce?

I usually end up with quite a bit more sediment at the bottom than with a 12 ouncer... but bottling takes less time.

Thanks for your help! One more quick question. If I'm going to rack my beer into the bottling bucket with priming solution now, can I let it sit a couple of hours until I actually bottle?

Thanks for your help! One more quick question. If I'm going to rack my beer into the bottling bucket with priming solution now, can I let it sit a couple of hours until I actually bottle?

Yes, but you could be increasing the risk for infection and oxidation.

Sometimes I want 'just one more beer' but opening a 22oz bottle is a larger commitment. Sometimes I drink 2, share it or cork it.

Sometimes I want 'just one more beer' but opening a 22oz bottle is a larger commitment. Sometimes I drink 2, share it or cork it.

Good point! I have the same problem on occasion... I open a 22, drink half of it, then end up leaving the other half in there for a day or more. If it is only one day, it usually OK the next day, but sometimes I leave it for longer, and after a couple of days, it is no longer drinkable.

Back