Chlorine in Tap water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkey17

Reaction score
Hey all

just a quick question hope i posted this in the correct forum

How do i solve the problem of chlorine in tap water ,,,

if i wanna use tap tap water to brew kits there is alot of chlorine in it besides putting tap water through a filter is there any product i can buy that i can treat tap water that will take the chlorine out , i was getting a bad taste from my last batch and found it it was the chlorine

i wanna use tap water if possible as its free lol ,, ( for the moment anyway )
i have used bottled water in the past and worked great ,,

Campden tablets i know about ,,anything else i can treat tap water with to not have a bad taste from my brew

If it's chlorine (not chloramines, which are very common in municipal water systems in the US), you can boil the water a day or two in advance. Boiling drives off the chlorine. If you have chloramines in the water, the only thing I can think if is the campden tablets. Chloramines don't boil off.

Cheers for that Yooperbrew

Think i will have to boil up the water a few days in advance only way out of it i think ,,

or buy bottled water or charcoal filter

Thanks for reply

Won't the chlorine just evaporate off on its own after a few days even if you don't boil it? That was my understanding, although I just use the campden tablets.

Charcoal filters will filter out the chlorine. However, there are a few issues:

1. Charcoal filters in Brita or PUR faucet or pitcher systems don't last terribly long. I have to change my brita filter every 40 gallons. That sounds like a lot, but if you're using 8-10 gallons for AG per batch, that means 4 batches per filter. That can get expensive.

2. The filters (for faucet/pitcher systems) can handle about 2 gallons at optimum efficiency per day. (I don't know why, but that's what Brita says) so to get 10 gallons, it will take you 5 days to get consistent results. Overusing the filter will reduce efficiency and you'll end up filtering out less chlorine.

3. Based on people who have tested water before and after filtering, those filters tend to reduce chlorine very effectively, but they also reduce pH and some other mineral ions necessary for brewing. If you are trying to be exact with your water, you'll need to know what your profile is post-filter.

ok Folks im a little confused

ok Campden tablets i know of and have but never used them ,,,

do ifill my bucket with water and crush the campden tablet in ,when can i use this water to brew ,,i use kits coopers kits etc ,, do i have to wait 24 hours or use straight away ,,

Help !!!!!! lol

If you are trying to be exact with your water, you'll need to know what your profile is post-filter.[/QUOTE]

what do u mean by ,, ill need to know what my profile is ,, ??? dont understand sorry new to all this brewing

i have a water filter system in my house that filters 10lt of water every 2-3 hours ,, but that means using up the 10ltrs in the tank ,waiting 2-3 hours for the other 10ltrs ,,thats a pain

I have the same issue with my water. I add campden to my water right when I set it on the burner to start heating. 1 tablet will treat 20 gallons of water, so I use 1/2 tablet for mash water and other for sparge water.

If you are trying to be exact with your water, you'll need to know what your profile is post-filter.

what do u mean by ,, ill need to know what my profile is ,, ??? dont understand sorry new to all this brewing

i have a water filter system in my house that filters 10lt of water every 2-3 hours ,, but that means using up the 10ltrs in the tank ,waiting 2-3 hours for the other 10ltrs ,,thats a pain[/QUOTE]

When brewing all grain, you want to get to a specific ph and specific ranges of mineral ions when you mash. The ph and mineral content of your water is the water profile.

If you are just doing extracts, then you don't need to worry about it. If you're having problems with too much chlorine in the tap water, just buy bottled water.

I would go with the boiling method. Buying water can be expensive (and in general, completely unnecessary), but then again I am cheap by nature.

I agree with danielinva. If you draw your brewing water a day or two in advance and leave it exposed to the air, the chlorine will evaporate. Try filling a jug with tap water and leaving it in the fridge overnight. By the next morning you won't be able to smell or taste the chlorine.
If you do choose to go this route, don't top off with water that has been exposed to the air for a day or two. You would need to boil that for 20 minutes, and keep it covered while it cools down to keep out airborne bacteria.

-a.

Cheers Folks

Thanks for those replys

so another words bottled water or boiling water ,,,,

Im a cheap skate too so it will be boiling water lol

Chlorine is actually much denser than the standard atmosphere. I doubt that it will evaporate if left to do so. Could be wrong, but halides are very dense and usually pretty resistant to evaporation at standard pressure.

Chlorine is actually much denser than the standard atmosphere. I doubt that it will evaporate if left to do so. Could be wrong, but halides are very dense and usually pretty resistant to evaporation at standard pressure.

Chlorine will dissipate from water if left out for say 24 hours in an open bucket. Done all the time with fish. Campden is almost immediate and works with chloramine . Like Yooper stated most muni water has Chloramines nowadays. I use Campden because my water has them.

Sunlight is the most effective way to remove chlorine. Pools in direct sunlight all day need more chlorine added then pools in the shade.If it didn't evaporate why would you need to add it weakly to the pool even if you don't add water.

Reviving this thread...
If I filled up a 5 Gallon carboy all the way full would and left it out 24 hours would the Chlorine dissipate or would the opening be two small. I would then add a Camden tablet to kill off and buggers.

Reviving this thread...
If I filled up a 5 Gallon carboy all the way full would and left it out 24 hours would the Chlorine dissipate or would the opening be two small. I would then add a Camden tablet to kill off and buggers.

Just remove the chlorine with the campden tablet and brew with it almost immediately. 1/2 a crushed tablet in 5 gallons will nearly instantly remove the chlorine.

Back