Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheridan13

Reaction score
So every instruction I can find on how to make a starter calls for using DME. Is it possible to make one using LME? I'm using liquid yeast without the smack pack.

Sheridan13 said:
So every instruction I can find on how to make a starter calls for using DME. Is it possible to make one using LME? I'm using liquid yeast without the smack pack.

I did this for my last batch, and it worked out great. John Palmer's website has some simple math to convert the gravity contribution from DME to the gravity contribution from LME (I want to say use 20% more LME, since LME is 20% water, but I wouldn't swear by it). Follow your instructions of choice for a DME starter, using the modified amount of LME, and it should work fine.

Caveat: I'm new at this, so there may be some subtlety that I'm missing -- perhaps dumb luck saved my yeast.

Sure, you can use LME. DME is just easier to handle in this situation. LME is about 80% the strength of DME. Make the starter in the 1.040 range, keep the starter on the warm side and use sanitzed foil on the top as you want the starter to uptake some oxygen during fermentation.

I use ovaltine (the original malt flavor, not chocolate). Bring 2 cups ovaltine and 4 cups of water to a boil for 15 min. Let cool to 70 degrees, pitch yeast, aerate. I had airlock activity in about 5 hours.

for the last 3 batches i've used LME and liquid yeast. I couldn't find much about using LME either, but from what i was able to figure out, it's a tad less than 2/3 cup LME to 2 cups of water.

Just did a search on LME Yeast Starter and came across this thread, very good information. Thanks!

I too am trying to make a starter using LME...but does that ovaltine thing really work or were you making a joke that i didnt get? lol

I use ovaltine (the original malt flavor, not chocolate). Bring 2 cups ovaltine and 4 cups of water to a boil for 15 min. Let cool to 70 degrees, pitch yeast, aerate. I had airlock activity in about 5 hours.

That's got to be a better use for Ovaltine than drinking it :ban:

Latest posts

Back