Wyeast 3711 French Saison - Warm??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
I've used 3711 before and controlled it to 67F with great results. My bro-in-law has no means of controlling ferm temps, so we decided to stick with Saison for now. We pitched a very fresh pack (mfg this month) into 2.25 gal of 1.062 wort at 70F last night. It's now going gangbusters and sitting at about 77F. I'm curious what others have experienced fermenting this yeast on the warm side?

Recipe:
2.5 lbs Pils
2 lbs Munich 10L
1 lb Wheat Malt

16 g Goldings (US) @ 60
14 g Goldings (US) @ 15

Mash temp 153F for 60 min

Cheers!

My latest farmhouse used 3711 at 72F. Really nice fruity nose, not boozy at all. I let it get to about 1.010 and then pitched Brett brux, and ramped the temp up to 85F. Very nice beer, and owed a lot to the 3711.

I did my last batch with this yeast with zero temp control at all. I just put it in the warmest closet in my house (about 80F) and let it do whatever it wanted. My guess is that it got into the mid to upper 80's. It took a 1.056 down to 1.002. It was really saison-y. Lots of the yeast flavor and pretty potent. It was actually one of the better saisons I've made in my opinion. Could have been the hop schedule that played into that also though. Point being, you don't have to really be that strict with this strain. You'll probably get a "cleaner" result at lower temps, but the result at higher temps is definitely drinkable and pleasant in my opinion.

I use the Belgian strain and just let it go nuts in my closet, sans temp control. So far, so great. :drunk:

It's cool you guys are getting good results with the French. I read some dire warnings about how it evidently shouldn't go over 77 and got scared off.

I have only used that yeast at 75 F. It may be better at lower temperatures.

My personal opinion (obviously not shared by others) is that when fermented at 75 F, it is the worst Belgian style yeast I have used, and I've used a number. There is something with the flavors that I just don't like.

You will not get any fusels or the like at the higher temperature.

Back