If my strike temp is 12° @1.5 Qt/Gal, what would the strike be for 1Qt/Gal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gixxer

Reaction score
Yup. My Mash thickness is normally about 1.5 Qt/Lb and my strike difference is 12°F over to hit my target temp at dough in. What do you guys think it would be for 1Qt/Lb? Thanks.

-----EDIT----- YEA YEA I meant Qt/Lb... Good eye folks...

Wow, really? Kind of a lot of variable to consider like what is your desired mash temp? How much grain are you using? What size vessel, what is the grain temp? You are not looking at a necessarily fixed number.

My mash tun is 5gl, it will be preheated, grain bill is 14lb, sucker will be right up to the top. Target temp is 152. Using the calculator, I got 168, thats about what I figured. 16°

Assuming you meant Qt/lb, at 1.5 Qt/lb, you strike water looses 12 degrees. At 1 Qt/lb you would need to heat your strike water to 12 degrees * 1.5 / 1 = 18 degrees greater than you required mash temp.
Try it with the calculator mentioned above
Use the default values except mash thickness and grain temp.
Set the mash thickness to 1.5 and the grain temp to 62. It gives you a strike water temp of 12 degrees above mash temp.
Now change the mash thickness to 1, and it gives you a strike water temp 18 degrees greater than your required mash temp.

-a.

Back