Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's a good thing that they are trying to reach millions of people and not just elitist homebrewing nerds like us. :mug:

Great point. We are brewers, what we like about beer isn't always going to appeal to everyone. I am glad that there is a market for their beers, and this is because of capitalism we have a ton of choices. I'm just glad that they aren't the only craft beer, or I probably would have taken up go kart racing or something. I can drink what I prefer. In my version of the future, Total Wine will actually be Total Beer :mug:

It just gets pretty damn annoying when people view craft beer as some kind of "movement." It's a product.

The same people are always trying to tell you about this awesome band "you've probably never heard of."

I represent that remark! I used to be in this awesome band I can almost guarantee you've never heard of. unless you were in the punk rock scene in Vegas in '00-'01. and because of that little snippet, I won't tell you about it. chew on that!

Didn't know I'd start a huge dereail with my commercial comment. oops :eek:

But my problem with SA is this. I started with things like SA and SN(still love SN)

I tried Scotch Ale from SA. I didn't like it, and I assumed I just didn't like Scotch ales. Two years later I had an amazing one.

How many people now think West Coast IPAs are bland and boring?

I think what he meant was that they take an assortment of styles and make less challenging, more accessible versions of them. Even so, I consider that mostly a good thing if it gets more beer drinkers thinking outside the BMC. Most of us didn't jump straight into IPAs and Trappist ales...we had stuff like Boston Lager and Shiner Bock that was just different enough from the norm to get us looking at beer for taste. That was how I got started at least.

This.

Sent from my XT1060 using Home Brew mobile app

I got what he meant and I agree with you that they are making more approachable versions of different styles. I think it's a good thing that they are trying to reach millions of people and not just elitist homebrewing nerds like us. :mug:

Yup.

Back to the topic...

My wife and I met up with my parents for lunch today. I got an Ommegang Three Philosophers (Belgian Quad fermented with cherries) and my dad got a Peak Organic Pilsner. My mom - not a beer drinker - tasted mine.

"You know what that tastes exactly like? Foster's."

Choking back laughter, I exchanged a look with my wife and told her matter of factly that there was no way it tasted like anything resembling a Foster's.

"Taste Dad's, that's a lot closer to Foster's than mine. " She took a sip of the Pilsner and shook her head. "No, yours tastes more like it, trust me."

There's no arguing with my mother.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Back to the topic...

My wife and I met up with my parents for lunch today. I got an Ommegang Three Philosophers (Belgian Quad fermented with cherries) and my dad got a Peak Organic Pilsner. My mom - not a beer drinker - tasted mine.

"You know what that tastes exactly like? Foster's."

Choking back laughter, I exchanged a look with my wife and told her matter of factly that there was no way it tasted like anything resembling a Foster's.

"Taste Dad's, that's a lot closer to Foster's than mine. " She took a sip of the Pilsner and shook her head. "No, yours tastes more like it, trust me."

There's no arguing with my mother.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

She was picking up on something, though, unless you believe your mom is completely clueless and just makes stuff up.

It would be an interesting exercise to do some taste comparisons, and try to identify what she was keying in on.

I thought this comment on FB about Jester King was pretty funny. Anyone who has had anything from them or know their general style of beer they brew will find this funny too.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394422353.955196.jpg
This guy should probably stick to Bud light.

Didn't know I'd start a huge dereail with my commercial comment. oops :eek:

But my problem with SA is this. I started with things like SA and SN(still love SN)

I tried Scotch Ale from SA. I didn't like it, and I assumed I just didn't like Scotch ales. Two years later I had an amazing one.

How many people now think West Coast IPAs are bland and boring?

But does that mean that Sam Adams is bad, or just that you don't like their Scotch Ale? And if you went back and tried theirs again, might you have a different take on it? Now that you know you like Scotch Ales? (You'd have to do it blind, because you already know that "Sam Adams makes bad Scotch Ale.")

But does that mean that Sam Adams is bad, or just that you don't like their Scotch Ale? And if you went back and tried theirs again, might you have a different take on it? Now that you know you like Scotch Ales? (You'd have to do it blind, because you already know that "Sam Adams makes bad Scotch Ale.")

If you go back and read my posts, I never said Sam Adams is "bad."

I said they're mediocre.

Let's get past this topic please. If you feel like you have to keep talking about it, I believe there's an "I hate Sam Adams" thread floating around somewhere.

If you go back and read my posts, I never said Sam Adams is "bad."

I said they're mediocre.

And if you read mine, you'll see that I never said that you did. You said that you had their Scotch Ale and assumed that you don't like Scotch Ale. Two years later, you tried a different Scotch Ale, and it was amazing.

This is interesting, but it doesn't account for what changes your palate might have had in 2 years. Over time and exposure to different things, you might now like Sam Adams' Scotch Ale.

What I did say is that you'd have to try it blind because you already believe that SA makes a mediocre Scotch Ale.

And if you read mine, you'll see that I never said that you did. You said that you had their Scotch Ale and assumed that you don't like Scotch Ale. Two years later, you tried a different Scotch Ale, and it was amazing.

This is interesting, but it doesn't account for what changes your palate might have had in 2 years. Over time and exposure to different things, you might now like Sam Adams' Scotch Ale.

What I did say is that you'd have to try it blind because you already believe that SA makes a mediocre Scotch Ale.

Ok, like I said before, I'm done talking about this.

Yuengling lager, miller highlife, I have tried neither. Perhaps a beer swap? I could do pliney the elder in trade!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I remember my ex, who was a grocery store manager, telling me one time that he always hated to see a woman buying beer because all he could think about was that the beer was going to make her fart! LOL!

He's also the one who, one night at my Dad's, asked a brilliant question - my Dad said to me, "I have some bones I saved in the freezer for Brandy (our German shepherd)" and ex says, "Oh, do dogs eat bones?" :eek: REALLY??? LOL!

That guy sounds dumb as a corndog with no stick.

On topic, at a great little bar here there's a mirror/advertisement in the men's room for Bass Pale Ale that says "... using the finest two-row barley and malted hops." I'm opening myself up to a "Well, actually..." here, but, malted hops? Come on! If you are gonna spout random nonsense brewing terms at least make them in a foreign language. Which mostly just leaves German, I guess. Not quite the thing for British beer.

I remember my ex, who was a grocery store manager, telling me one time that he always hated to see a woman buying beer because all he could think about was that the beer was going to make her fart! LOL!

He's also the one who, one night at my Dad's, asked a brilliant question - my Dad said to me, "I have some bones I saved in the freezer for Brandy (our German shepherd) and ex says, "Oh, do dogs eat bones?" :eek: REALLY??? LOL!

LMAO...what exactly happened to your ex?

I didn't over hear but I saw a garbage man taking cases of Bud Light out of a room and smashing them into the garbage truck. Kind of made my day!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Ice cold lager (served 3 degrees lower in temp than normal, comes out of the same keg) makes you pee more than normal lager. If you drink the ice cold, you will be up all night at the pisser.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Back