my partially done "Red Dawn" keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkstar

Reaction score
Wish i could take credit for the design but i have to give credit to various builds i saw here. (and countless hours in the lowes trim section) I plan on 4 taps for now with a 5th stout tap down the road.
Update. Got the ss shanks and perlicks in. coming together nicely. drip tray should be here next day or to.

get-attachment3.jpg

get-attachment.jpg

get-attachment2.jpg

IMAG0964-1.jpg

still undecided on which temp control to get. a love mounted on the collar or a ranco in back. any thoughts?

What size freezer and what is the thickness of the wood if you don't mind? Also, what type of wood did you make the top out of?

Thanks
Greg

Nice keezer! Well made.

I need to say, though, that if you're naming this a "Red Dawn" keezer, you need to have "WOLVERINES!!" spray painted across the front.

Nice keezer! Well made.

I need to say, though, that if you're naming this a "Red Dawn" keezer, you need to have "WOLVERINES!!" spray painted across the front.

+1 to this! You are not allowed to tease us.luke that! Lol. :D

What size freezer and what is the thickness of the wood if you don't mind? Also, what type of wood did you make the top out of?

Thanks
Greg

.it is a 7 cf kenmore. i used 3/8 in oak ply that is closer to 1/4 in. the top is a scrap piece of laminated countertop i think i got from a cabinet maker i know. the collar is 1 by oak stair treads finished with oak chair rails casing ect. going to add a railing to the rear soon. i matched the stain to the top and couldnt be happier with the color. im new to brewing but love building stuff. i modeled this build from another hbt post. i need to look him up and give him credit. oh and i am a big iowa hawkeye fan so no wolverines on this i one.

Thanks for the info, have permission from swmbo to put one in the house if I can make it look like yours. Looking at 5cf if the price is right, should be able to get three taps with the right collar.

Sweet. Would you mind taking some additional pics of it for us? I am planning on building my own lid too and would like to see how you did it. I'm going to use a coffin, and don't want to drill through the original lid.

Sweet. Would you mind taking some additional pics of it for us? I am planning on building my own lid too and would like to see how you did it. I'm going to use a coffin, and don't want to drill through the original lid.

sure i will tonight

looks great, wish i would have taken my time and done something nice like this for my keezer. That being said is there no gap between the freezer walls and the wood? Wont that get hot and be hard on the compressor?

correction the collar are stair risers not tread. the risers gave me an extra 1/4 inch of height which should get me a couple of kegs on the compresser hump. they are cut on a 45 and nailed and glued together. as far as the gap is concerned, i read that 1/4 ply only has an r value of .09 which is next to nothing. having an air gap would actually insulate more then if the wood was directly glued. if the wood gets warm then i wont worry. it dissipating heat like it should. i'll find out once she's up and running with full kegs.

Have you had any problems with your keezer over heating because of lack of ventilation? I want to build something similar but I am afraid the compressor will overheat with wood surrounding it like this.

Have you had any problems with your keezer over heating because of lack of ventilation? I want to build something similar but I am afraid the compressor will overheat with wood surrounding it like this.

Since he's asking for CO2 advice and is still needing to do some hardware work on the inside, I'm betting it's built, but not fully running.

This is my concern too, as I'm gonna be getting a 5 cubic foot freezer soon, and would love to build a coffin for it, but ventilation seems to be the biggest issue.

Back