Best Starter for a Propogator Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wh4tig0t

Reaction score
I plan on doing a PM Oatmeal Stout this friday, and i have a Propagator smack pack of 1084 Irish Ale yeast. I'd like ot make the best possible starter with what I have: 1lb of light DME, 1L flask, 2L flask, Yeast nutrient, and Stir Plate.

I was thinking of doing a 1L starter Monday night, decanting and pitching into a 2L starter Wednesday night, then pitching the starter into ~5.5 gal of beer friday night . Should I skip the decanting, and just add 1l of fresh cooled wort?

Given the equipment listed and 4 days is this the best way to start a Propagator pack. It seems to be inline with Wyeast's pitching calculator and pitching rate chart, I'm just not clear on the best way to step up the starter.

1 LB of DME seems like a lot to me.Boil the water,add the nutrients.Then add the DME and stir well.Cool down and add the yeast,stir well.Pour into flask and put on airlock.

1 LB of DME seems like a lot to me.Boil the water,add the nutrients.Then add the DME and stir well.Cool down and add the yeast,stir well.Pour into flask and put on airlock.

Well yeah not the whole Lb, i was planning on using 1 cup/liter

Starters are usually around 1.040 which should be 3oz per quart. My basic starter is 6oz DME to 2 quarts and it runs on my stirplate for 24-48 hrs. I've had great success w/ a starter that size, never had lag. Found this on the Wyeast website.

The Wyeast Propagator (50 ml) should not be directly pitched into 5 gallons. This package is designed to be propagated in a starter culture before inoculating larger volumes of wort. A Propagator contains 30 billion cells. One propagator in ½ gallon starter will deliver 6 million cells per ml.

Mr Malty
has a good starter size calculator too.

Starters are usually around 1.040 which should be 3oz per quart. My basic starter is 6oz DME to 2 quarts and it runs on my stirplate for 24-48 hrs. I've had great success w/ a starter that size, never had lag. Found this on the Wyeast website.

Mr Malty
has a good starter size calculator too.

I'm trying to step it up to at least 12mil cells per ml, will this work.

Unfortunately Jamil's calculator assumes an activator pack or pitchable tube.

I think the pack will be fine in a 1.6 litre starter on the stir plate for 36 hours give or take.

You will get a good start. Watch out for the 1084. 11 gallons crawled right out if my converted sanke fermenter with o2.

I use foil instead of an airlock.

Drinking it right now. DAYM its good!

Back