B3/Blichmann Conical Manufacture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haggismaximus

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea who manufactures the conical hoppers and lids for either of these companies?

I just saw that B3 is now selling the new 2.0 lids to upgrade older 1.0 conicals to pressurization etc. I don't think Tolodeo does it (unless they are custom dimensions). If I could locate the manufacture I might just buy the tops from B3 and make the bottoms at a steep discount.

I bet all these name brewing equipment companies like B3 farm out and not make in house. My guess John Blickmann's conicals, boil kettles and other products are also farmed out.
The size of the machines used, tonnage applied, weight and cost of them to deep draw these pots I bet is way beyond a company like Blichmann to afford to draw and spin his own pots and conicals. JMO's here after working around wiring GM body panel stamping machines costing millions of dollars each. How many pots must one sell to just pay off the inital machines cost? Maybe this is the reason why Blichmann is asking top dollar to pay off his stamping machines if he does manufacture in house? If he has them in house I would be surprised and find it hard to believe. There must be is a rather big profit being made off each pot or conical with home brewers on the ready to hand over their money fast as they can no matter what the asking price, supply and demand. Beer Beer & More Beer claim they weld together their own pots and brewing equipment, was in their store in the back "welding area", saw nothing as it's all farmed out. When they say "we weld every fitting", this means who ever they contracted out to welds the fittings. This "we" makes them sound bigger than they are and this fools the public in thinking they are really that big.
Example, William's Brew Company looks big on their online site. They operate out of a leased corner section of a warehouse, rather small and 80% empty. Phoned in orders they then order the item from their supplier then ship to you. You can operate out of a public storage area for what I saw in their building as I walked into the warehouse and got a first hand look.

Anyone have an idea who manufactures the conical hoppers and lids for either of these companies?

I just saw that B3 is now selling the new 2.0 lids to upgrade older 1.0 conicals to pressurization etc. I don't think Tolodeo does it (unless they are custom dimensions). If I could locate the manufacture I might just buy the tops from B3 and make the bottoms at a steep discount.

Chances are even if you found out the manufacturer they wouldn't sell it to you. More than likely they have a contract with thier manufacturer that forbids the manufacturer from selling direct. Otherwise, how would Blichman or B3 ever sell any of these items. I am sure Blichman or B3 would not be in business very long if they allowed their suppliers and manufacturers sell to the directly to the public at steep discounts.

Chances are even if you found out the manufacturer they wouldn't sell it to you. More than likely they have a contract with thier manufacturer that forbids the manufacturer from selling direct. Otherwise, how would Blichman or B3 ever sell any of these items. I am sure Blichman or B3 would not be in business very long if they allowed their suppliers and manufacturers sell to the directly to the public at steep discounts.

This is exactly right. You have very little chance of even finding out who they get to do their manufacturing, and even if you did- there's almost no chance you'd be able to buy anything direct from the manufacturer.

I figure I will just ask the B3 guys next time I'm buying something, we'll see what they say..

I would imagine that the company manufacturing these things offers a variety of services and products and is open to take orders from anyone who is willing to pay. Just need to find the manufacture, get dimensions of the B3 conical, and ask about a "custom" product and provide the technical drawings ;) I wouldn't be asking for the B3 conical, but my own that coincidentally is a copy. Hmmm.

I'm nearly 100% sure that Blich's pots are made elsewhere as I'm awaiting them to get more since the ones they recently received had "cosmetic flaws" and mine is on back order.

It's a sure bet the manufacrure as well their contracted account to B3 or Blickmann have all the bugs worked out so together they can make a sizeable profit as they have a supply demand item. A win win for them. The cost of the first conical made vs the production run now must be a cost difference also, no way would they break this relationship selling directly I agree. I wouldn't want that to happen if I were either party in this product.
Waith until CHI Company comes up with their fermenters, a quality and price war will begin with the customer having amother product as well price selection. Come on Matt at CHI, you go man.

I'm nearly 100% sure that Blich's pots are made elsewhere as I'm awaiting them to get more since the ones they recently received had "cosmetic flaws" and mine is on back order.

Wow! Blichmann sends out a unit not in perfect condition?
Hard to believe with their high bling factor and name on it
to ship an item like this. Production speeded up too fast with
quality control slipping while looking for more and faster profits?
"Back ordered", sounds like they're rather busy I bet they are pushing
the manufacture to speed production up. Hurry up we'll all get rich
as we can before more competition hits the market and our sales slump
called items made in China.

They didn't send the one to me with the Flaws...though they did say they would consider it at a discount. But I didn't exactly know what "cosmetic flaws" meant and they didn't provide pictures...it could have been a mean jagged edge on the sight glass and that would have guaranteed me slicing something open, or it could have been "spots"

SO I'm in a holding pattern as I have no MLT right now :(

Back