Dry yeast vs Liquid and krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys-

another question.. i have recently made the switch to all grain.. My first few brews I used dry yeast because my LHBS was out of all liquid yeasts... Using the dry yeasts, I had crazy fermentation going on, where I absolutely needed a blow-off set-up.. However, the last three batches I made, i used liquid yeast (Wyeast American Ale smack packs) and have had little or no sediment blow off.. I still get fermentation, but it's not nearly as active as when I used the dry yeast.. In fact, my blow off vessel and blow off hose had no hop residues in it.. You know how the blow off hose looks after an active fermentation? You gotta get out the bottling brush and clean all the sticky hop residues on the inside of the tube? The tube was clear and clean when fermentation was over as when it started.. the fermentation just didnt seem nearly as active using the liquid yeasts as it did when I used the dry... In fact, with the fermentation I have had in the last couple batches, I could have gotten away with just an airlock.. I didnt even need a blow off set-up. I have used many liquid yeasts in the past when I was using extract, and always had active fermentation... so what gives? The pitching temps are proper and for aeration, I stir the s**t out of the wort for a full seven minutes... The carboy is filled all the way... so I guess my question is, when doing all grain and pitching liquid yeast, is it normal for fermentation to be less active than using the same yeast in an extract recipe?

liquid vials are known to have much lower cell counts than dry packet varieties... somebody may correct me but, generally speaking, the only real advantage to using liquid yeasts is that there are a greater variety of liquids available. If you are doing anything requiring a fairly common variety of yeast...use dry. If you use liquid you should probably do a starter...

Latest posts

Back