barley crusher or ? what mill should i buy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run it once first and brew on it. Tightening it up could result in stuck sparges. I get close to stuck almost every time with factory settings, but never actually stall until the very very end and I have enough wort collected. See what you think where it is, and if you don't like it go from there.

Thanks for the heads up! I BIAB, so I'm not worried about a stuck sparge, but running it once with factory settings isn't a bad idea, at least to get a baseline. I do wanna just check the factory gap, as I've heard it can vary slightly from unit to unit.

I too have been very pleased with the barley crusher brand. I use marris otter and two row and have found mine works best with the adjustment just slightly counterclockwise of factory settings. I lightly condition grain to cut down on dust, and get a perfect crush with whole husks remaining for a perfect sparge.

I haven't had any complaints (knock on wood) so far with my Barley Crusher. Great results, fast crush. Not sure if the other brands also do this (I would assume they do) but BC scores the 1 roller so you can adjust and know where the factory settings are to go back to it as a baseline for testing.

Back