So I'm Making a kind of Odd IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cge0

Reaction score
oddipa.jpg

What do you guys think?
Should this be mind numbingly bitter?

2 lbs. of Honey malt. I hope you really like that stuff. I'm thinking it is more like a hybrid wheat/Pale Ale beer.

I'm guessing you're not a big fan, eh?
You think it's too much?

No, I have not.
Apparently it could be used for up to 20-25% of the grain bill, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be all that crazy.

cge0 said:
No, I have not.
Apparently it could be used for up to 20-25% of the grain bill, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be all that crazy.
It's your brew. I just have never seen recipe with that much honey malt. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the advice/kind words nonetheless.
I just like to experiment with things and all.

You might consider dropping the H.M. down to 1 lb.... the time that I used 2 lb was a little cloyingly sweet. It imparts a LOT of mouthfeel too. It's really good, tho, I dig it! If you have a spare pound of pale malt or Vienna or something, that would replace it well. The C-120 will impart raisiny tones, if you're looking for a caramelly, toffee-y taste you would be more suited towards C-60 or so....

But I think the hop schedule looks just fine. SHould be tasty, but could possibly need a couple months to really hit its prime.

Ok, here's what I'd adjust things to:

6lbs. 2-Row
3lbs. Wheat
1lb. Honey Malt
1lb. Caramel/Crystal 50-60L
4oz. Rauch

If this isn't a 'wheat' beer, I'd not go over 1/3 of wheat as a base malt (excluding specialty).

You simply don't need more than a pound of honey malt, unless you want it to overpower the brew.

Besides throwing the srm's off the style, the darker crystal will add flavors (as mentioned) that will compete and clash with the hop character.

A little smoked malt goes a LONG way.

Let us know how this comes out!

:mug:

It's homebrew man, run with it. Thats how we learn by trying new and different things. Good luck to ya and let us know how it turns out.

Just wondering, because I'm still sort of new to designing recipes, will having 1 more lb of base malt and 1 less lb of red wheat make a big difference?
Again, thanks everyone for the advice/kind words.

It's all about what you want to stand out. A pound of malt in a five gallon batch can make a big difference, regardless of the type. At the previous amounts, you're at an American Wheat level. By reducing the wheat malt, you'll be using it to add body and head to your IPA and not contributing as much of the wheat characteristics.

It's really up to you. On this note, experimenting will let you see first hand the effects of each malt, but you'll need a new experiment for each thing you change and that can take awhile. Reading about things can speed this process up.

:mug:

I'm gonna have to agree with everybody else on the honey malt. I'd tone it down a bit. I'm an extract brewer and I recently made a sweet cream ale (not really a cream ale, but that's the best way I can describe it) with 12 oz honey malt steeped (so my effeincy wouldn't have been as good as yours will be all grain) and I got a lot of sweetness and honey flavor. Any more would have been too much, and keep in mind I was trying to make a sweet beer. I'd cut it down to a pound, or maybe even 8 oz if I were you.

Well, today I'm brewing this beer.

6# 6-Row Barley
3# Red Wheat
1# Caramel 15L
8oz Honey Malt
4oz Rauch Malt

0.25 oz Summit 60 Min
0.25 oz Cascade 30 Min
0.75 oz Cascade 20 Min
0.50 oz Summit 20 Min
1.00 oz Cascade 5 Min

55.6 IBU, Est OG 1.060

Using S-23 Saflager Yeast, because I'm out of ale yeast.
Decoc'd this batch as well and gave it a nice long protein rest.

Back